F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

What are you developing?
racemaniac

Re: F405 & F411 versions of the BluePill

Post by racemaniac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:53 am

normally my zips always contained up to date gerbers
and strange that my libraries are wrong, i'm on the latest stable of KiCad i think, and normally everything remains up to date (except for the 3d models ^^')
but if there's something i can do about the libraries, let me know :)
and this weekend i'll have some more time to work on this, let's see where we can get :)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 am

@racemaniac

I'll double check what error I got, but from what I remember the schematic editor seemed to have problems with 2 of the symbols and potentially did some replacements

I think potentially the F405 symbol was different, as the one you are using looks nothing like the one that is in the STM32 libraries supplied with KiCad.

When I updated you schematic to add another regulator for Vdd_A, when I read the updated netlist into the PCB editor, it seemed to replace the footprint of the F405 as if it was a completely new component, and I had to move the footprint into the correct location on the PCB, where you had previously routed all the tracks

So I would be a bit concerned about generating gerbers without double checking what was happening with the footprints

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:43 am

RogerClark wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 am
@racemaniac

I'll double check what error I got, but from what I remember the schematic editor seemed to have problems with 2 of the symbols and potentially did some replacements

I think potentially the F405 symbol was different, as the one you are using looks nothing like the one that is in the STM32 libraries supplied with KiCad.

When I updated you schematic to add another regulator for Vdd_A, when I read the updated netlist into the PCB editor, it seemed to replace the footprint of the F405 as if it was a completely new component, and I had to move the footprint into the correct location on the PCB, where you had previously routed all the tracks

So I would be a bit concerned about generating gerbers without double checking what was happening with the footprints
Ah, in the schematic i'm indeed using custom libraries. i usually just quickly make my own lib when needing a component, it's often faster than hunting down an "official" one
but for the pcb i think the files are completely self describing, so that one should show correctly i think?

but i still find it strange, i thought that was the entire purpose of the BluepillF405-cache.lib : the project stores the versions of the libs it uses in there, and no matter if later on they changed or got removed, it's in that cache file?
ah well, typical open source stuff i guess XD

bobc

Post by bobc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:41 am

Hello all, this project piqued my interest. :) I was just looking for something just like this.

On KiCad, if you open a project for viewing it will use cached library data, even if it warns about missing libraries (behaviour may depend on version). However, if you modify the project KiCad may reload data from locally installed libraries, which are usually different to the original ones used.

I had a quick look at the recent zip version, it looked ok. If you have a final version, I could order some boards and hand assemble some prototypes.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:02 am

i hope to have a final version in a week or 2
this weekend i'll make all current requested changes, and go for a first "final version", but expecting more changes to be needed XD.

bobc

Post by bobc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21 am

RogerClark wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:25 am
@racemaniac

The 2 missing schematic symbols I think are ok, KiCad finds them in the cache lib (worked for me anyways).

There is a small discrepancy, in the schematic the F405 is "U1", in the PCB it is called "STM32". I would rename the footprint in the PCB, then it should match the netlist.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:23 am

bobc wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21 am

There is a small discrepancy, in the schematic the F405 is "U1", in the PCB it is called "STM32". I would rename the footprint in the PCB, then it should match the netlist.
indeed ^^' (did it to have the nice STM32 label on the pcb) (could have also just hidden the reference and added it as text XD, or also renamed the reference in the schematic XD)

bobc

Post by bobc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 am

Would it help if I put together a BOM with Digikey part numbers?

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am

bobc wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:37 am
Would it help if I put together a BOM with Digikey part numbers?
can indeed also be helpful
pretty early in this post i already put aliexpress links of the more uncommon components i was using (voltage regulator, usb connector, ...)
Digikey parts can also be useful (although for things like the usb connector i hope it's some fairly standard thing XD. it's micro usb connector i bought of aliexpress and that seems to be easy to find. made my own custom footprint for it that seems to work well)

bobc

Post by bobc » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:20 pm

Ok, I looked up those links, the reset button I can't view (account not authorized). For USB Micro, it's a bit difficult to work with no brand/no part number and the footprints vary a lot. I will probably replace that with something I can order locally.