Sunrise and sunset camera controller

What are you developing?
ahull

Sunrise and sunset camera controller

Postby ahull » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:26 pm

In order to give me some incentive to play with the low power modes, I've re-written the sketch originally used here...

The code is on Github here...

I'll keep everyone posted with progress.
- Andy Hull -

ahull

Re: Sunrise and sunset camera controller

Postby ahull » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:20 pm

I updated the (messy) code, and it works (for small values of the variable "works" :D ).

Things that *don't* yet work...

Sleeping till sunrise/sunset.
Setting the time/date/location using the touchscreen.
Switching something on at sunrise/sunset.

However its a start, and the sunrise/sunset times appear to agree with Google's thoughts on the subject, within one minute, so not a bad start.
- Andy Hull -

Rick Kimball

Postby Rick Kimball » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:13 pm

ahull wrote:[img]...[/img]

I think I spy Nessie in that picture. Are you going to add Nessie detection too? :) .. Nice picture is that the back yard?
-rick

ahull

Postby ahull » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Rick Kimball wrote:
ahull wrote:[img]...[/img]

I think I spy Nessie in that picture. Are you going to add Nessie detection too? :)

By the time I looked, Nessie was hiding again, you have to sneak up on the picture when she is not looking :D The Nessie detector is still a work in progress, hopefully it will be out in time for the Mark II version.

.. Nice picture is that the back yard?

... almost, it was taken about two miles from here on the Lake of Menteith.
- Andy Hull -

ahull

Postby ahull » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:06 pm

I changed the display a bit, no good reason, I just wanted to play with the GFX library.

- Andy Hull -

ahull

Postby ahull » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:25 am

Well sunrise and sunset was too easy, I think I'll add moon rise and moon set and moon phase next, since my 3V relay module hasn't arrived on the slow boat yet, so I can't actually build the camera battery control circuit yet.

Watch this space for further enlightenment. :D

For the record, the camera battery is going to be controlled with one of these... I was going to use a transistor and a 3V relay with a diode, but the pre-built board is around the same price as the components, and looks much neater (and has on opto-coupler thrown in for free).
- Andy Hull -

ahull

Postby ahull » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:22 pm

Slow boat arrived, and with it 2 x 3v relay boards.... I also got my first bug report from a hackaday.io user, who pointed out that using an int for localOffset doesn't work in India where the offset may include a half hour. Github code updated localOffset is now a float.

Now all I need is a bit of spare time to code the sleep and wake on alarm interrupt routines and play with the relay. I think I'll use the "Ugly board" for the finished project.
- Andy Hull -

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:20 pm

The half hour offset will also be needed in South Australia ;-)
(Seems crazy to me that some places have this.. In fact i heard on the radio the other day that some people want to put South Australia on the same time zone as Sydney and Melbourne, but i doubt it will happen)

Oscar43

Postby Oscar43 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:54 am

Awesome effects!! I am so pleased to know how we can use sunrise and sunset effects just as professionals. I have so much interest in photography so I am thinking to get training from the Port Macquarie Photographer.

ahull

Postby ahull » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:08 am

Oscar43 wrote:Awesome effects!! I am so pleased to know how we can use sunrise and sunset effects just as professionals. I have so much interest in photography so I am thinking to get training from the Port Macquarie Photographer.

Hi Oscar, no effects were used, the picture of the sunset is entirely natural, just as it came out of the camera. The stm32duino "Sunrise and sunset camera controller" projects aims to allow me to set up a camera in a location and it does its own thing at a specific time or times in the future. I do need to go back and complete this project as I had a use for it last night.

There was a bit of an aurora, not as spectacular as some I have seen round here, but quite bright. If I had completed this gadget, I could have left it out in the freezing cold at the top of the hill to do the work for me. Instead I was hanging around shivering in the back garden trying to find a good location that wasn't cluttered up with fences, trees and what have you.

I hope to get some more time to play with this over the autumn and winter.
You can watch a short and not very impressive clip of the aurora here.
Last edited by ahull on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Andy Hull -

Return to “Projects”