Guide: "I'm new here - which board should I buy?"

Please read this if you are new to the STM32
RogerClark

Re: Guide: "I'm new here - which board should I buy?"

Post by RogerClark » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:18 pm

Martin

Sorry.

I keep forgetting all the updating you have done on the F4 side of things.

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:47 pm

@Roger, be careful since I've invited people from Netduino forum to come here ... ;)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:01 pm

Martin,

The more the merrier.

I notice things have been fairly quiet on the forum recently. I suspect this is because most people live in the northern hemisphere where they are enjoying their summer and are not indoors working on Arduino based projects.

Surprisingly I still find a few people using the repo who don't know that my videos or this forum exist.... I came across a video on youtube, during the weekend, where someone had done a tutorial independently of my videos or this forum or the Arduino forum (thread)

I think there must be a lot of people still using the old Maple IDE etc, as looking at the numbers of Maple mini's being sold on ebay, its in the thousands, but I'm sure all those people are not registered on here, or we'd have a lot more.

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:42 am

RogerClark wrote:Martin,
The more the merrier.
:lol:
RogerClark wrote:I notice things have been fairly quiet on the forum recently. I suspect this is because most people live in the northern hemisphere where they are enjoying their summer and are not indoors working on Arduino based projects.

Surprisingly I still find a few people using the repo who don't know that my videos or this forum exist.... I came across a video on youtube, during the weekend, where someone had done a tutorial independently of my videos or this forum or the Arduino forum (thread)

I think there must be a lot of people still using the old Maple IDE etc, as looking at the numbers of Maple mini's being sold on ebay, its in the thousands, but I'm sure all those people are not registered on here, or we'd have a lot more.
Yes, that's true ! and following religiously the ESP8266 forum too, I'm seeing similar phenomena ...
Even if people are doing BBQ, they should bring their laptop on the deck and keep posting, no needs to bring Minis outside ... :lol:

madias

Post by madias » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:14 am

In Europe is main holyday season, nobody is sitting at home/job except you have to :)
Here in Vienna we have about 36 °C not the ideal temperature for soldering or big thought experiments.....

amundsen

Post by amundsen » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:39 am

madias wrote:In Europe is main holyday season, nobody is sitting at home/job except you have to :)
...or if it's the unique moment of the year with time for your personal projects.

sheepdoll

Post by sheepdoll » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:18 pm

amundsen wrote:...or if it's the unique moment of the year with time for your personal projects.
What is a personal project?

These days I tend to be researching and upgrading tools. I just never seem to have the time for the trial and error development cycle that I like to do.

BTW can images be uploaded direct to this board, Or do I need to host them elsewhere?

stevech

Post by stevech » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 am

old thread....

I've used this board but without needing or using their (not good) compilers or libraries. I use an ST-Link V2 wired up to SWD erase chip including the vendor's bootloader. Have used it with GCC and IAR and ST's HAL.

Small, goodly sized CPU.

http://www.mikroe.com/mini/stm32/

A US distributor is
http://microcontrollershop.com/product_ ... ts_id=5403

amundsen

Post by amundsen » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:06 am

stevech wrote:old thread....

I've used this board but without needing or using their (not good) compilers or libraries. I use an ST-Link V2 wired up to SWD erase chip including the vendor's bootloader. Have used it with GCC and IAR and ST's HAL.
That's good news for people looking for tiny boards!

amundsen

Post by amundsen » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:14 am

Looking at the ST Link V2 on ebay, it seems there are differents versions available:
One is white with rounded corners.
Another one is more rectangular, is coloured (blue, green, pink) and has black ends. It's also much cheaper.

Which one would you recommand ?