Guide: "I'm new here - which board should I buy?"

Please read this if you are new to the STM32

Message to all users

I've upgraded the forum (PHPBB) to version 3.1.10 which is the last stable release in the 3.1 tree.

As far as I can tell everything is still working OK, e.g. all posts look like they are there and the attachments are OK

If anyone has any problems please PM me.
PS. Don't PM the admin account as for some reason I still don't get email notifications of these PM's (but I never have ;-)

amundsen

Re: Guide: "I'm new here - which board should I buy?"

Postby amundsen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:59 pm

The size is definitely what matters first but if I can get something at a lower price, why not ?

The Espruino Pico seems to be really interesting.

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:34 am

Yes, this puppy seems to be interesting, although not a lot of pins been breakout.
It is also a F401, not F405, so Flash is 384K instead of 1M.
Maybe you should take best of all sides : inspiring yourself with this Pico PCB but place a F405 on it ? :)

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:44 am

The Pico seems to have limited availability, only 1 of the 3 suppliers they link to have any stock.

Its all supposed to be open source, but looking on github I can't quite see where the files for the pico board are located.
There is a pico folder, but I cant see the eagle files for the board its self

amundsen

Postby amundsen » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:57 pm

martinayotte wrote:There is also the Netduino2Plus

Do you think I could program it from a Mac ? Could I use the USB connection to do it or should I go through a FTDI adapter ?

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:04 pm

AFIK

That whole series of devices are preloaded with a javascript interpreter and i presume some sort of USB Serial device.

If you want to program it using the Arduino IDE, one option is to use SWD e.g. STLink ( or another SWD programmer, e.g Black Magic Probe).
You cant use a Usb to serial adaptor, because Hardware Serial TX is not connected to any of the breakout pins.

The SWD looks hard to use, as you would need to solder to the pads on top of the board, which looks difficult.

STM32F4 devices can boot into USB DFU upload mode if you configure the Boot0 and Boot1 pins correctly then reset the board.
So this would also be an option.

However our current codebase doesnt have this as an upload option at the moment for F4 devices, so you would need to modify the F103 DFU upload stuff and use it on F4, if you want to do it that way.

But, do you even have one of these devices? Im not sure its even possible to buy them

amundsen

Postby amundsen » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:49 am

No I haven't any yet but it's available (although pricey - around 60€ here in Europe).

I am not seeking a board immediately but only investigating possible solutions for a wearable microcontroller with hardware FPU.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:06 am

wow

60€...

Very expensive for what it is.

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:59 pm

amundsen wrote:
martinayotte wrote:There is also the Netduino2Plus

Do you think I could program it from a Mac ? Could I use the USB connection to do it or should I go through a FTDI adapter ?

The Netduino has a BOOT button to turn it in DFU mode at power up. So you can upload sketches thru the USB easily.
Last edited by martinayotte on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:08 pm

RogerClark wrote:The SWD looks hard to use, as you would need to solder to the pads on top of the board, which looks difficult.

On the Netduino2Plus, the SWD is available on pass-thru pins, however they are not 0.1".

RogerClark wrote:STM32F4 devices can boot into USB DFU upload mode if you configure the Boot0 and Boot1 pins correctly then reset the board.

BOOT button is already provided to turn the board in DFU mode.

RogerClark wrote:However our current codebase doesnt have this as an upload option at the moment for F4 devices, so you would need to modify the F103 DFU upload stuff and use it on F4, if you want to do it that way.

@Roger, if you remember, that was my first contribution to the code base : a variant has been added for both Netduino2Plus and the STM32Stamp board that let upload those directly from the IDE.

martinayotte

Postby martinayotte » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:12 pm

amundsen wrote:No I haven't any yet but it's available (although pricey - around 60€ here in Europe).

That is strange that EU distributors are taking much larger profit, since the board is originally US$59.

Return to “Welcome & FAQs”