New User Windows Installation Problem

Windows XP,Vista,7,8 and 8.1 etc
PhilTilson

New User Windows Installation Problem

Post by PhilTilson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:01 pm

I have worked with many microcontrollers (PIC, ESP etc) but am completely new to Arduino and STM32.

I have followed (as far as I can!) the instructions for installing under Windows. Downloaded version 1.6.12, downloaded the STM32-Master and put it in the appropriate folder.

Then I get to "Set the board to Arduino Due from the list". No Arduino Due in the list! So tried Duemilenova instead. Then installed STM32F103C with the appropriate variant but whenever I try to compile the simplest example, I get the "/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++: file not found" error.

I have worked through the forum but the only 'solution' I could find was along the lines of "Ah, you haven't installed SAM or SAMD" or "You missed the step for the ARM compiler". Sorry, but this is where I come to a halt! If I go back to the Duemilenova and load the example from the standard examples folder, it compiles fine - but I don't have a Duemilenova - I have an STM-32F103C. Aaaargh!

I realise it will be something obvious (to others on this forum) but it's not obvious to me. Help would be appreciated - and be gentle with me - I'm old!

Phil
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 932 times

BennehBoy

Re: New User Windows Installation Problem

Post by BennehBoy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:18 pm

If you go into the boards manager (it's option at the top of the boards list), have you actually installed 'Arduino SAM Boards (32-bits ARM Cortex-M3) ?

It's a pre-req:

Code: Select all

All OS's

Download and install the version 1.6.9 of the Arduino IDE from here
Run the IDE, and on the Tools menu, select the Boards manager, and install the Arduino Zero from the list of available boards. You must do this step, it installs the arm-none-eabi-g++ toolchain!
Download zip file containing the STM32 files from here
Unzip to create the Arduino_STM32 folder
Full instructions here -> https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... stallation
-------------------------------------
https://github.com/BennehBoy

martinayotte

Post by martinayotte » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:32 pm

The compiler is the one for SAM board, not beta any more, it is now the 1.6.11 ...

PhilTilson

Post by PhilTilson » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:42 pm

Thank you! I knew it would be simple.

For the benefit of any others who may come across the same problem, I read the words "Boards Manager" as a heading above the listing of all the boards, rather than as a menu item in its own right. Sound stupid now, but...

Cheers

Phil