Sketch Upload

All distros
wyzarddoc

Re: Sketch Upload

Post by wyzarddoc » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:15 pm

Hey,
Thanks mrbrunette that worked. I still need to start the sketch compiling then hit the reset on the maple. If I hold my mouth right and the phase of the moon is right it will download and run!!!! thanks again for all your help
Doc

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:58 am

wyzarddoc wrote:Hey,
Thanks mrbrunette that worked. I still need to start the sketch compiling then hit the reset on the maple. If I hold my mouth right and the phase of the moon is right it will download and run!!!! thanks again for all your help
Doc
@wyzarddoc, you are welcome. The download success rate of serial-USB is frustrating because not only is it not 100% but the failures defy classification. I can live with 90% which was my average under Windows and appears to be similar now under Linux Mint. But, we lost at least one member because they had to have 100% in the classroom.

Ray

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 am

I think the only way to guarantee near 100% success is to upload using SWD (STLink).

I find even the built in Serial bootloader less than 100% reliable connecting, as sometimes the Red Pill doesn't seem to reset cleanly when I press the Reset button.

Using a SW bootloader its always going to be possible to hang the process or in such a way that the bootloader no longer gets activated. e.g. disable all interrupts and go into a tight loop.

Come to think of it, even SWD is not foolproof as you can disable the SWD pins in software, so unless your SWD programmer actively resets the MCU and your programmer software is set to Connect Under Reset, that can still fail.

stevech

Post by stevech » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:45 pm

RogerClark wrote:I think the only way to guarantee near 100% success is to upload using SWD (STLink).

I find even the built in Serial bootloader less than 100% reliable connecting, as sometimes the Red Pill doesn't seem to reset cleanly when I press the Reset button.

Using a SW bootloader its always going to be possible to hang the process or in such a way that the bootloader no longer gets activated. e.g. disable all interrupts and go into a tight loop.

Come to think of it, even SWD is not foolproof as you can disable the SWD pins in software, so unless your SWD programmer actively resets the MCU and your programmer software is set to Connect Under Reset, that can still fail.
Been using SWD on STM32F4 and ST-Link for 2 years. For flash programming and breakpoint debugging. No issues other than "is the power on?" type of cockpit trouble.