A board slightly different from the Blue Pill

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
zmemw16

Re: A board slightly different from the Blue Pill

Post by zmemw16 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 pm

well it's a good start.
first find the mcu datasheet and its pin diagram.
next check board pin names against BP ones. continue if good or out with red pen.
red pen through boot1 link, set it to whichever makes more sense.
boot0 needs a resistor pull up or pull down as above, maybe 2 ??
usb socket has a lot of vcc & gnd copper, not much sign of tracking, check reverse, forget usb.
not really much else is there ?
2 or 4 layer pcb, i'd suspect 2. look for traces direct to the mcu, top and reverse, save those ending in tph's for later
note values of components, try to match connections.
look for components connected in a manner similar to BP.
reset has to be r & c between vcc & gnd, common point to button, other side of button a trace or maybe via resistor to mcu reset.
caps on 5v & 3v3, ldo maybe, should have caps close'ish. as no usb, transistor circuitry unlikely
look at nucleo version, user guide for schematic ???
a somewhat short of sleep stephen

RogerClark

Re: A board slightly different from the Blue Pill

Post by RogerClark » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:11 pm

martinayotte wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:54 pm
The above board variant provided by umeshjayan is slightly different than common BluePill, it has only 1 BOOT jumper instead of 2...
Well spotted, Martin...

I wonder if that board has the correct USB pullup or if it has any other differences.

Boot1 is of limited use, as the RAM on the F103 is too small to load a particularly usable application into RAM.

So I can understand why the manufacturer would go for a cost saving and not include Boot1