Red Pill or Blue Pill?

Generic boards that are not Maple or Maple mini clones, and don't contain the additional USB reset hardware
RogerClark

Re: Red Pill or Blue Pill?

Postby RogerClark » Sat May 28, 2016 2:18 pm

@X-death

The board (MCU) is blank, you will need to flash the bootloader using a USB to Serial adaptor (or STLink etc)

Arise

Postby Arise » Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 am

I plan to swap the F1 CPU on a bluepill with an F3 CPU. Is there anything I should take into consideration when doing this?

Second, are the pins on the blue pill board 5V tolerant? Is there a list/schematic with those 5V pins?

moc

Postby moc » Sun May 29, 2016 12:13 pm

Here it is: http://www.olliw.eu/uploads/stm32f103c8 ... t-wp01.jpg
The red "FT" indicates 5V tolerant pins.

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon May 30, 2016 3:26 am

Arise wrote:I plan to swap the F1 CPU on a bluepill with an F3 CPU. Is there anything I should take into consideration when doing this?

Second, are the pins on the blue pill board 5V tolerant? Is there a list/schematic with those 5V pins?

The main problem with changing the F1 to a F3 is that the F103 core does not work with the F3

Although there is a F3 core its not actively maintained, and as far as I know, no one has actually used it, since I found it abandoned and copied it into my Arduino-STM32 repo.

The HAL MX core can hopefully be used to produce a F3 core, but it is very much a work in progress and there may be quirks of F3 series that we have not anticipated with the HAL MX core

Your best bet for the F3 is probably to look at Koduino

https://github.com/avikde/koduino

As Avik's primary focus is the F3

Arise

Postby Arise » Mon May 30, 2016 11:12 am

Oh, sorry for confusing things.

I don't really look into using the board for Arduino (F1 boards are just perfect for that), I'm more interested as using it as a flight controller with a custom firmware. I would like to swap the F1 CPU with an F3 for the floating point, and while I've read that the swapping should be pretty much pin compatible I decided to give it a try.
My only concern was some special cases I should look into with the swap.
But since from your answer looks like nobody did that I assume I'm kinda alone here and I'll have to learn things the hardway...

Anyway, I'll keep you up with the progress, thanks anyway, the info on this forum is awesome for me as a beginner. :)

Arise

Postby Arise » Tue May 31, 2016 8:36 am

Another question, can I power this board from 2 separate sources?

Usually this board should be powered separately (from 5V or 3.3V) but I also want to connect over USB in order to access the board. Could this cause issues?

ahull

Postby ahull » Tue May 31, 2016 9:33 am

Arise wrote:Another question, can I power this board from 2 separate sources?

Usually this board should be powered separately (from 5V or 3.3V) but I also want to connect over USB in order to access the board. Could this cause issues?

I would suggest that you need an in line shottky diode to protect your 3v3 source (which I assume is a LiPo or similar battery pack), otherwise you risk charging (and indeed overcharging) the 3v3 source with the 5V from the USB connector via the voltage regulator. Having the two connected at the same time might be an issue, in which case, you could add a switch to swap from one to the other. Alternatively, simply cut the 5V line from the USB conector, but leave the USB data lines and ground connected, and run the board exclusively from the 3v3 source.
- Andy Hull -

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 am

ahull wrote:
Arise wrote:Another question, can I power this board from 2 separate sources?

I would suggest that you need an in line shottky diode to protect your 3v3 source (which I assume is a LiPo or similar battery pack), otherwise you risk charging (and indeed overcharging) the 3v3 source with the 5V from the USB connector via the voltage regulator. Having the two connected at the same time might be an issue, in which case, you could add a switch to swap from one to the other. Alternatively, simply cut the 5V line from the USB conector, but leave the USB data lines and ground connected, and run the board exclusively from the 3v3 source.

@Andy
i feed a 12v wall wart to an adjustable output switch mode psu and then 7.5v to Vin, usb cable to laptop and there's a RTC with battery in as well. this is on a real Baite maple mini.
the psu has the bigger heat sink, hence it doing most of the voltage drop.

when i connect stlink/swd - i leave off the 3v3 connection, also noted that my stlinks have a 5v output as well.
no blue smoke as yet :D

stephen

Arise

Postby Arise » Tue May 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Not sure I understand how to connect the schotty diode, I'm not really good at electronics theory/physics.

But I'm looking at the following documents:
https://storage.googleapis.com/google-c ... 2_rev4.pdf
https://github.com/TauLabs/TauLabs/blob ... y_v1.1.pdf

Both documents, top left corner. Is that the way I'm supposed to wire them?

denis

3 version of Blue Pill

Postby denis » Tue May 31, 2016 5:39 pm

Hello,
after some search I found 3 different version of Blue Pill.
Version 1: 2 Anchor for USB, big components.
Version 2: 2 Anchor for USB, small components.
Version 3: 4 Anchor for USB, small components.

Does any one know the difference between them?

Return to “Generic STM32F103”