Help:F030C8 crystal selection

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
prims

Help:F030C8 crystal selection

Post by prims »

Hey guys, I'm a newbie at designing boards and wanted to create my own stm32 board to be used with stm32duino core with arduino.
I started with copying bluepill schematic and created a custom board and it works ok.
The F103C8 is just too much for what I need and looking at F030C8 is looking better for me and there's a generic support in stm32duino for it.
In my initial bluepill copy design I followed the crystal preference for the bluepill, which is 32.768 and 8mhz just like in the attached picture and like I mentioned it worked fine.

My question is would it be all right if i use the same crystals for F030C8? I checked the CubeIDE, created a project and under clock configuration it gives me the identical crystal preferences but I just wanted to ask you guys if there's a catch to all this crystal selection? Thank you
Attachments
blue.PNG
blue.PNG (43.89 KiB) Viewed 463 times
dannyf

Re: Help:F030C8 crystal selection

Post by dannyf »

unless you have some interesting requirements (precise uart baud rate for example, or operating at the absolutely highest speed), the choices of xtal aren't that critical. I often run mine (f030f) with HSI, or 8Mhz / 10Mhz crystal, depending on what I have handy.

8Mhz crystal allows you to run at the max 48Mhz (8*6). 10Mhz can run at 45Mhz (10/2*9), or 50Mhz (10*5, slightly over spec).
prims

Re: Help:F030C8 crystal selection

Post by prims »

Its a very basic board really, only runs some ws2812 leds thats all. Ok I see, so I should be good with the xtals i have. Thank you very much for the explanation it helped me alot as i had no idea how to go on about it :)

Return to “General discussion”