Support for 32-bit Windows?

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
old_fogey

Support for 32-bit Windows?

Post by old_fogey »

As an occasional user of STM32 boards with Arduino I had some success in 2017 and 2022 doing stuff. Just came back and updated the STM32 core for a new project and cant do anything.... get the following message with IDE version 1.18.19 and STM32 core version 2.7.1

"AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\12.2.1-1.2/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++.exe: This version of %1 is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information and then contact the software publisher."

I'm running Windows 10 22H2 32-bit edition. I presume I need to either
a) update to Windows64 bit edition, or
b) roll back to the last version of the STM32duino system that worked with the 32-bit system or
c) something else.

What is the latest version of the STM32 core can I use? (I've lost track of the version I used that worked in 2022....)
MGeo
Answers: 2

Re: Support for 32-bit Windows?

Post by MGeo »

It looks like 2.5.0 was the version that moved from arm-none-eabi-gcc 10.3.1-2.3 to 12.2.1-1.2 https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_C ... /pull/1944

https://github.com/stm32duino/Arduino_C ... 2/releases

Might be time to migrate to 64 bit Win if your PC supports it.

Deprecation notices
32-bit support
Support for 32-bit Intel Linux and Intel Windows was dropped in 2022. Support for 32-bit Arm Linux (armv7l) will be preserved for a while, due to the large user base of 32-bit Raspberry Pi systems.
old_fogey

Post by old_fogey »

Thanks for the answer (v2.5.0), I hadn't seen the deprecation notice and the update to 2.7.1 installed without error or warning, which was a bit surprising. AVR and ATtiny environments still seem to work OK in the 32-bit environment.

Yes, my laptop supports 64-bit windows but as the environment and software going back to 2007 is 32-bit I'm a bit of a hold out. When windows 10 32-bit exits support at the end of next year my laptop won't support Win11 so I'll migrate to Linux and keep this old 32-bit environment as a virtual one.

I've got a 64-bit windows server machine for compute intensive tasks which is continually added to as more and more software migrates to 64-bit only, so in the end I used that machine and after solving unrelated issues relating to downloading board files on slow internet connections all was good.

Just needed to remember when using remote desktop and a remote machine to plug the hardware into the remote computer...!
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

The trouble with operating in 32 bits is you need a gcc-none-eabi compiler built for 32 bits.

Fortunately, they are there
https://developer.arm.com/downloads/-/gnu-rm

and not least, you need the full suite of glibs and libs that gcc runs on, along with any libs that the rest of the tools depends on.
These days it is rarer getting distributions and OS build for 32 bits with all the relevant libs installed.

but that maybe 'older' os have it.

Return to “General discussion”