Aliexpress - the dos and don'ts - experiences with sellers

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
madias

Aliexpress - the dos and don'ts - experiences with sellers

Post by madias » Thu May 07, 2015 9:42 pm

I wrote this little report, because most of the usable boards are sold on aliexpress for the cheapest price.
I've done about several hundred orders from this plattform and I wanna give you some my experiences:
At first:
There are aversions and uncertainties for people to use this platform. I can say, if you follow some rules you are on the safer side than with Ebay.
As I wrote, I've done for more than several hundred orders and I wasn't in any trouble. Yes, there were about 2 or 3 parcels lost on delivery (is that about 0.01%?), and I had to deal with a dodgy dealer. (original: one person).

Rule #1
Never, ever click on "confirm goods received" until
a) you got the parcel really in your hands
b) the parts are ok and working!
Give time to yourself to check them out. You don't have a chance to get back your money if you hit the "confirm" button!

Rule #2
There is no customer support on ali. Save your time finding how you can contact them. There is no sense to report them a scammer.

Rule #3
Forget all about tracking numbers, they are useless, even if they are "real"

Rule #4
Talk to the seller, send him mails in trouble situations.
In my experience, they are real friendly persons and wish to help! If you get, as example, one part less, or a part is broken don't "open dispute", just send a mail, wait till 3 days and mostly you'll get a friendly response, the seller send the damaged/missing goods again and prolong the "purchase protection time"

Rule #5
Read the feedbacks of the seller in the last 2-3 months! A feedback score under 97-98 percent: Don't buy anything from him!

Rule #6
Avoid sellers like this:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1355196
He sends every 10th parcel empty and doesn't reply to mails. He accepted my "open dispute" within hours without answer (I read many feedbacks). I reported him to ali's "trade police" without consequences for him. (obey Rule#2)

Rule #7
If you have a suspect that the package is damaged, make a photo before and after opening.
Last edited by madias on Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

mrbwa1

Re: Aliexpress - the dos and don'ts - experiences with sellers

Post by mrbwa1 » Thu May 07, 2015 10:56 pm

That percentage of lost parcels from China is pretty typical for any good sellers. I agree AliExpress is a bit scary so I tend to pay a few more $$s on eBay. If Banggood.com or Gearbest.com ever get some better STM32 boards, I will buy there as well.

Perhaps we can post a couple sellers people have had a good experience with on AliExpress for new folks wanting to shop there?

mrburnette

Post by mrburnette » Thu May 07, 2015 11:36 pm

mrbwa1 wrote: Perhaps we can post a couple sellers people have had a good experience with on AliExpress for new folks wanting to shop there?
Good experience with:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/416663

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/406986

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1185416

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/213957 Baite Store

Rule #7... If you find good sellers, stay with them even if item is advertised for less elsewhere. A nice email with a link often gets a similar price.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu May 07, 2015 11:50 pm

Guys,

I'm happy for people to post good or bad experiences, but can we avoid swearing and anything slanderous etc

@matthias. I removed the expletive in the other posting, even though I'm sure you are right about their anatomy ;-)

I get similar issues with eBay.

About 5% of stuff seems to get lost in the post, or turns up months later, by which time I've already ordered a replacement etc.

I ended up with two Due's because of this, and because I'm honest I repaid the refund I got after the first one didn't arrive after 6 weeks.

I'm currently at the point of opening a dispute with an eBay vendor (http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/robotstorecn?rt=nc) because they sent me a "programmer" without any firmware in it. ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251742174330 ) which they no longer sell.

So basically the device is useless.

They sent me a doc telling me I needed to flash the firmware myself, using another programmer (of the same type, that had firmware in it !!!)
aarrggghhh

It would have been easier if I just said it hadnt arrived, in which case I'm guarantteed a refund, but I was hoping in this case I'd made a mistake and that there was a boot sequence I wasn't aware of

Anyway, just goes to show, vendors on eBay with 100% rating doesnt guarantee satisfaction.

I'm pretty sure in this case I'm going to just end up giving them terrible feedback and live with the $20 loss

madias

Post by madias » Fri May 08, 2015 6:22 am

Roger, I edit the expletive into a common sentence, I've recognized that such treads can become *very* emotionally, so such words should be avoided. Maybe we should settle down a bit bit before posting and perhaps everything should bring at least one positive example for each negative one (I tried to write review in a more positive relationship) so we can avoid hatred threads - they won't help anyone.

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Fri May 08, 2015 6:24 am

Matthias

No worries.

You are right, keep things positive.

Better to say which are good sellers

Thanks

Roger

thakshak

Post by thakshak » Fri May 08, 2015 6:51 am

i have ordered 10 hc sr-04 sensors from ali and got all but the packaging was the worst and 2 sensors got damaged in-transist
contacted seller regarding this he told he will send another 2 sensors in my next order..
but i don't know when will i place my next order with him.
so what should i ask him to do..?

thanks

JensEP

Post by JensEP » Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 am

so what should i ask him to do..?
Ask for a refund of the missing items.
--
Jens

80 GPIO ought to be enough for anybody

madias

Post by madias » Fri May 08, 2015 7:19 am

Do you have photos of the package? (I have edited this as rule #7)
If yes, don't accept it and tell him
a) he should resend the damaged parcels
b) otherwise you will open a dispute.

thakshak

Post by thakshak » Fri May 08, 2015 7:50 am

thanks for replying..
i have the package with me.. yet to take photographs... but opened it already..will be cautious next time.
will ask for refund.

he packed all the 10 sensors (with header pins already soldered) in a bubble wrap and kept it in a pack. and the header pins of one board scratched other board cutting the circuits on board and the other one damaged the ultrasonic speaker.