Sticky: STM32F4 boards - limited support

Limited support for STM32F4 Discovery, Nucleo and custom F4 boards
AnalogLamb

Re: Sticky: STM32F4 boards - limited support

Postby AnalogLamb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:03 am

RogerClark wrote:Koduino does support some F4 boards but only a few

I have contacted Avik De who runs Koduino and he is very interested in the new STM core, so I would wait and see what STM release, later this week.

Koduino is good for STM32F405, I have use it to programm my new board - blink a LED.

But I use USART to download the program, need to press the BOOT0 pin to high and Reset. It's not convenient. Of course, I can use a USB2UART chip, two transistors to replace the buttons. But more components is needed.

STM32F405 supports DFU mode. It looks like Koduino doesn't support it now. need a tool DFU_UTIL.

I think Maple's mode is better. Only a USB support programming and VCP.

AnalogLamb.Com - STM32Duino for Everyone

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:00 am

This is not the right place for this info about the board, I think you already posted details elsewhere, I will delete your posting to this thread

Zingg_JM

Postby Zingg_JM » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi

I do not know if this is the right place to post my question. I am new to STM32F407.

I bought several different STM32F407VET6 boards (I already use several different STM32F103 boards).

The one I try to start with using with Arduino IDE is:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Core407 ... 45575.html

My questions are:

which board should I select to build for ? STM32 Discovery F407, or STM32F4Stamp F405, other ?

which download method should I select ?

There is a STM32 BOOTLOADER available on the USB connection, if started with BT0 high, but I don't see it as a port.
I also have a SEGGER J-Link, that can be connected to the board, and a ST-Link V2, that I use with STM32F103C8T6 mini boards.
But for both cases I do not know what Programmer to select.

I hope someone can help me get started with the new boards. Thank you very much.

Zingg_JM

Postby Zingg_JM » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:54 am

I still found no means to upload to this board.

STM32 Discovery F407 supports upload only through ST-Link (boards.txt),
but my ST-Link V2 does not talk to the board when connected to the corresponding pins of the JTAG connector, like I do on some F103C8T6 board.
ST-Link Utility fails to connect.

STM32F4Stamp F405 supports upload only through maple_dfu,
but the dfu-util does not find the device 0483:df11 of the boards USB connection (id verified with Device Manager).

And connecting through a CT2104 USB device to the 4 pin header (tx, rx, GND, 5V) that connects to PA9, PA10 also doesn't work:

Searching for DFU device [10C4:EA60]...
dfu-util - (C) 2007-2008 by OpenMoko Inc.
Couldn't find the DFU device: [10C4:EA60]

Maybe I need to learn how to manually upload the code through SEGGER J-Link to the board.

Is this already described somewhere? link?

And then I need to add a Generic STM32F407 to my boards.txt

In the meantime I leave this frustration behind and turn to my Arduino Due to try to connect my 5" 16bit TFT.

Jean-Marc Zingg

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:41 am

Some users seem to be able to upload via DFU, but I think it only works on Linux

I have Windows and can't upload via DFU to the built in bootloader in the F4 series. I think this is because the DFU protocol that STM use is non standard, and you can't use dfu-util, you have to use STM's own DFU program, and it only accepts a special format of file

So on Windows, the only way to upload to F4xx boards is via STLink or via serial (or Blackmagic probe)

It would be good if the maple / stm32duino bootloader was ported from the F103 to the F4 but I don't have time to do that at the moment, as I've got too many other things I need to do, e.g. update the site to PHPBB 3.2 as well as a whole heap of PR's on Github which need to be tested and them approved or rejected

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:28 am

@Zingg_JM
std q what platform, os, version, arduino core(s) version/date please, what target board, picture maybe?

can you confirm the segger works with another board i.e. ribbon cable connection ?
i'm debian jessie on i7, one of my seggers works with segger linux software, the other isn't even seen on the usb
i also have a real st-link egg that doesn't work either, the others do though, i think i got invisible blue smoke somehow :(
you might consider using a 'generic' cpu, that should give st-link as an option.

st-link same question
usb stick or a an egg type? the egg uses a 20w idc ribbon

please try swapping the swclk/swdio leads as well

the upload methods are 'defined' in the boards.txt config file??
i'd search the forum for adding a new board, istr something on the wiki as well.

with my usb serial boards, i use grey to PA10, RX with white to A9, blk to gnd
with i2c with nano/uno A4 with yellow & A5 green, STM b6 blue & b7 purp
with spi1 y, grn,blue, purp

stephen

Zingg_JM

Postby Zingg_JM » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:08 am

STM32 Discovery F407 supports upload only through ST-Link (boards.txt), and this works, if I connect ST-Link to the correct pins of the J_TAG connector. I had wired a cable for this, for a STM32F103C8T6 board, but with only a short 2x6 DuPont header, and misplaced it.
Sorry for the misinformation.
I will re-test USB to serial later, most likely I need to switch rx, tx; it is often unclear if the inking is for target or converter view.

So at least I have a working solution.

I work with Arduino 1.8 on Windows 10, the target system in question is the one the link is for.

Thank you for the support!

Jean-Marc

zmemw16

Postby zmemw16 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:45 pm

the board you link to is on the wiki along with its big brother using a zet6.
istr putting up links to a 'manual' of sorts, schematic and some sample software, although they're for zet6 they should still be of some help.

i used chrome mainly for its translation, all i did was to browse the site.
also istr their search engine is a bit pedantic in the search string, case, type both upper/lower and stm32f407vet6/stm32f407zet6. :)

i've got a couple of both, still working on/with them. i've had both doing a blinky, but using libopencm3 and unicore-mx examples.
the directory structure for those is painful, but github does have repositories that 'flatten' it somewhat.

the peripherals still mapped the same e.g. i2c1 is still pb6 & pb7, spi1, spi2 etc, but hey that's what symbols are for :D

stephen

palmerr

Postby palmerr » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:38 am

I've also started to do some work on the F407VET6.

I'm adding information as I go to the "older" wiki http://wiki.stm32duino.com/index.php?title=STM32F407. If others also working on these boards would like to add to the information, it would save some duplicated work.

I have also edited the F407 platform.txt file as it was missing some quote marks in the USB part of the build section. They don't cause an issue unless there are spaces in your build path. Since most Windows folks have "/Program Files (x86)/Arduino/" in their path...

I'll generate a pull request shortly.

RIchard

RogerClark

Postby RogerClark » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:26 am

palmerr wrote:.....

I'll generate a pull request shortly.

RIchard

Thanks

Return to “STM32F4 Boards”