hid_bootloader not working on bluepill stm32f103c8t6

STM32duino bootloader aka Maple bootloader
gregor.fey@gmx.de

hid_bootloader not working on bluepill stm32f103c8t6

Post by gregor.fey@gmx.de »

Hi,

after several tries and a lot of reading, i found no solution. So i ask for help from you.

I want to upload a sketch onto my blue pill via usb. Therefore i downloaded the bootloader archive found at https://github.com/Serasidis/STM32_HID_Bootloader. Then i uploaded the bootloader hid_generic_pc13.bin onto the board using the stm cube programmer and a ftdi. The programmer shows no error message and the onboard led is blinking at a quit fast frequence after resetting the bootjumper and restarting the blue pill. So i assume the upload of the bootloader and the bootloader itself work.

After disconnecting the usb cable from the bluepill and reconnecting it, windows states that the device could not be initialized and the device manager lists the device as "unknown USB device". I tried both version - low / medium density and high density - of the bootloader, but it works with neither version.

To narrow the problem down i wrote a simple "Hellow world" sketch and compiled it with usb support set to "CDC (generic 'Serial' supersede U(S)ART))". I upload the sketch onto the bluepill using the programmer and ftdi. After the upload a new com port is installed and i'm able to read the serial output from the sketch using Tera Term and the new com port. So i assume that the serial port over the usb connector works.

Here some issues i think about:

To upload the bootloader i set the bootjumper 0 as required. After the upload i set the jumper back. Is this the right way to upload a sketch using the bootloader?

The bootloader files are from 2019 and therefore quite old. Are there any newer files?

Any hint is welcome.

Regards
Gregor

PS: If needed here my system stats

Windows 10
Arduino IDE 2.1
Board package "STM32 MCU based Boards" Version 2.5
Bluepill stm32f103c8t6 - medium density, 128k flash, R10 reworked to 1,6k
gregor.fey@gmx.de

Re: hid_bootloader not working on bluepill stm32f103c8t6

Post by gregor.fey@gmx.de »

Hi,

a good example for murpy's law. After writing my post and giving it a last try, it worked for the bluepill i used first. I don't know what i did change, but it works with the bootloader for low / medium density.

Just to verify the things i've done, i tried to upload the bootloader to the next bluepill. Nearly the same problems as with the first pill. The only difference is, that the usb port of the second pill is not recorgnized at all when running the bootloader. Uploading my hello world sketch with the cube programmer using the arduino ide works as a charm and the serial output can be displayed with TeraTerm.

So i need help to find a stable process for uploading the bootloader to my bluepills. Any of your ideas is highly welcome.

Best regards
Gregor

Return to “USB bootloader”