Visual Studio + VisualGDB

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013,Em::Blocks etc
racemaniac

Visual Studio + VisualGDB

Post by racemaniac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:35 pm

A bit amazed there isn't a topic about this combo yet :)
VisualGdb isn't free (80€ initial cost + 40€ per year), but i'm happy i made the investment. Visual studio community edition is free :).
A recent update really upped their game with stm32 development, and it's getting very streamlined now (generate a project via cubemx, import it to a solution in visual studio (with clear instructions, and hardly any steps needed), hit f5 and you're debugging on a bluepill over your st-link).
Haven't tried to setup our arduino frameworks on it (currently programming in HAL), but atm *very* happy with it.
Not sure about the other offerings, but @ work i also use visual studio, so i'm very familiar with it, the nice features i noticed while using visualgdb:
- very easy to import cubemx projects, and get going
- very good debugging via st link, easy to step trough the code
- a nice window where i can immediately access all the registers of the micro controller when debugging, so i can see the exact status of peripherals etc...
- i can also right click a piece of code and go to a disassembled version of the binary, to see the individual instructions that line/method/... was compiled to (it nicely switches between assembly, and indications where certain statements/functions start/end). When code is highly optimized, it's not always super clear, but i like it :).

They also stay up to date with cubemx updates, whenever something changes, not much later an update to visualgdb is pushed :).
I love how painless i can now develop on the stm32, with full debugging & a lot of other nice features :).

When i bought it, there were some minor annoyances when setting up a project, but those have now been fixed, and i'm really happy using it :).
Will certainly renew my license :).

RogerClark

Re: Visual Studio + VisualGDB

Post by RogerClark » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm

I constantly have a problem with VisualStudio and it’s license system, even for the community version.

I don’t use it for STM, I use it for Windows exe creation

Although it’s free, it seems to require a Microsoft account and a valid license and in some cases for me to be online.

I do not like working under those constrains, as I prefer things to work when I want them to work, not when someone else decides a program will work on their terms.

Perhaps I have some legacy issues as I used to run the full commercial versions of VS, as I worked on a contract where it was supplied to do the work.
Nevertheless, it’s left my machine in a mess that I don’t have time to deal with, and hence even for windows dev I now used codeblocks instead.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:38 am

Strange, i just installed it, indeed made a dummy M$ account, and that's it, it' working great for both STM32 development & .net development :)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:52 am

OK.

I think I tracked down the problem, its Visual GDB which is preventing me from running Visual Studio, because its free license needs to be renewed each year

But I cant see where to uninstall it :-(

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:31 am

i assume in the plugin settings screen of visual studio? or can't you even just open visual studio without opening a project, withouth visualgdb complaining and closing it again?

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:10 am

racemaniac wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:31 am
i assume in the plugin settings screen of visual studio? or can't you even just open visual studio without opening a project, withouth visualgdb complaining and closing it again?

It doesnt seem to be listed in any of the plugins screens. Apparently its possible to have hidden plugins

I have deleted some registry keys related to Visual GDB and it seems to have stopped giving the warning, but its not an ideal fix

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:49 am

that's indeed not ideal.
on which version of visual studio are you? (i myself should update from 2015 -> 2017)

RogerClark

Post by RogerClark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 am

Its Visual Studio Community 2015

But I don't use it for MCU dev. I had VS installed for some commerical web dev (DotNet) several years ago and when the license ran out I installed the community edition.

I have some other open source windows programs that need VS to compile.

I did some some other commercial dev work with VS, but I had problems because of I could not seem to stop Visual Studio building in references to the MS Runtime DLL's, and those runtime DLL's were not available on the target system, and I was not in a position to get them installed (long and complex story)

So I had to switch to using Code Blocks for that windows DLL dev, because it didnt have an MS dependencies.