Do I need a ST-Link or JLink or Both?

External hardware connected to the STM32 board
RogerClark

Re: Do I need a ST-Link or JLink or Both?

Post by RogerClark » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:16 pm

John

If you are buying from AliExpress, try to find a vendor with ePacket as a shipping option ( at reasonable additional cost) as they are higher priority than regular post and I think have a tracking code.

I have also found that for larger orders, sending via EMS is extremely fast, ( faster than FedEx or UPS) and is cheaper than using a courier service

keypunch

Post by keypunch » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:19 am

The familar to you all Metal STLink I ordered mid November 2016 just arrived today. In last week I have received 8 orders from last November and first week of last December in past week. In sets of 3, 3, and 2. All from different dates shipped and all from different sellers.

I think the suggestion of delay related to mailing of drugs from China has some merit to the delays. I assume some process related to customs and police is clearing the containers packages once known not to be drugs within my orders at least!

First will be to try those unique STM32F103 boards I have had since last November and test. I needed a STLink for these unique boards per the STM32 Adruino environment for the board. It will be a week or more before I can try as I have other commitments. I alos have a learning curve now for the STLink now that I have one to try and use correctly.

I happened to order another STLink a few days ago thinking like a couple other orders like this one of 140+ days the STLink would not arrive as other orders of 140+ days have not arrived yet.

It is actually snowing right now in Toronto as I post this reply. In 1984 the amount of snow received was over 25cm that 03 or 04 March day and this time not likley to be more than a cm or two. An event not related to weather that day is why I know the date In about 1975 first week of April so much snow I and others had to sleep overnight in high school as the snow was almost 2m high in the major interesection the school was at and cars were completely covered with foot or two ontop such that the university was burried for 3 days in snow. These were still school open for day days unlike now the hint of a couple of cm snow has schools closing! Silly nowadays the hint of snow has places closing.

Regards,

John L. Males
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
30 March 2017 21:19 EDT
30 March 2017 21:27 EDT (Minor typo corrections)

Naguissa

Post by Naguissa » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:31 pm

For Baite Maple mini you need just USB cable. Later, an USB-Serial 3V TTL adapter is always useful. At the end, I've ordered a cheap STLink, but only to try, I really never needed it.

Maybe other boards may need it, but this particular one don't.

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:30 pm

you can always use it on other usart/uarts, i usually have pa9/pa10 hooked up;
but then i'm never am quite sure where Serial, Serial1 or Serial2 will pop up :)

2 thoughts
i bend the 5v pin of the 5v/3v3 trio out to the side, makes it awkward and deliberate if i use it
a white dupont lead is a reminder to connect to PA9
green or white or red tie wraps trimmed off on end of the wall wart psu output's serve as 5v - 9v - 12v reminders
srp