ESP32

Anything not related to STM32
mrburnette

ESP32

Postby mrburnette » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm

I needed some items quicker than the China boat could get here, so I ordered from Adafruit and was willing to pay the UPS delivery standard rate.

Before I hit ENTER for my order, I went around doing some window-shopping to lessen the sting of the too-high shipping costs; I found the ESP32 dev board. Today is the first play time with the product.

The Espersssif github for Arduino ESP32 is further along than what I expected. Installing the core & tools on my Linux workbook took less than 10 minutes. I pulled up the ArduinoIDE, configured the board selector for ESP32 dev, loaded the supplied WiFiScan sketch; presto, it compiled and successfully ran.

Sketch uses 387,073 bytes (37%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,044,464 bytes.
Global variables use 30,476 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 264,436 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 294,912 bytes.

Gotta love the SRAM values!

Ray

RogerClark

Re: ESP32

Postby RogerClark » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks Ray

That's certainly a good deal if you are in the USA. (outside the USA I suspect the shipping costs make it more expensive than from Chinese suppliers)

ESP32 is an interesting device as a Wifi / BLE gateway, but I'm not sure if its any good as a standalone BLE device, but ts probably not intended for pure BLE applications.

I'm personally swamped with other things I need to do, so don't have even any ESP32's on order, let alone have any in my workshop

Return to “Off topic”