ESP32

Anything not related to STM32
mrburnette

ESP32

Post by mrburnette » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:41 pm

I needed some items quicker than the China boat could get here, so I ordered from Adafruit and was willing to pay the UPS delivery standard rate.

Before I hit ENTER for my order, I went around doing some window-shopping to lessen the sting of the too-high shipping costs; I found the ESP32 dev board. Today is the first play time with the product.

The Espersssif github for Arduino ESP32 is further along than what I expected. Installing the core & tools on my Linux workbook took less than 10 minutes. I pulled up the ArduinoIDE, configured the board selector for ESP32 dev, loaded the supplied WiFiScan sketch; presto, it compiled and successfully ran.
Sketch uses 387,073 bytes (37%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,044,464 bytes.
Global variables use 30,476 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 264,436 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 294,912 bytes.
Gotta love the SRAM values!

Ray

RogerClark

Re: ESP32

Post by RogerClark » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:12 am

Thanks Ray

That's certainly a good deal if you are in the USA. (outside the USA I suspect the shipping costs make it more expensive than from Chinese suppliers)

ESP32 is an interesting device as a Wifi / BLE gateway, but I'm not sure if its any good as a standalone BLE device, but ts probably not intended for pure BLE applications.

I'm personally swamped with other things I need to do, so don't have even any ESP32's on order, let alone have any in my workshop

leavesw

Post by leavesw » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:19 pm

I got mine "AI-Thinker" ESP32 modules several days ago - have not yet got the time to play with it.
Currently working on making a STM32L0 in between the UART of ESP32 and USB port as a CDC device - and then I will start on the ESP32 :)

It seems to be a pretty powerful chip though ^.^

Ollie

Re: ESP32 - Widora Air

Post by Ollie » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:02 pm

I have 6 different ESP32 development boards, and now I have found my favorite. It has similar appearance than the Teensy 3.5/3.6. It is just shorted and without the SD drive. It is made by www.widora.io.

Several weeks ago, I did order one from Taobao https://world.taobao.com/item/538209801368.htm. The price was good $13 and shipping cost $4 was reasonable. It has been in transit for few weeks and I should get it on next week.

Later, I did order one from Aliexpress and received the Widora Air version 5.0. All vendors are describing and showing the version 4.0 in their pages. The cheapest one is $19.40 plus $1.95 shipping with estimated delivery in 12 - 20 days. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ESP32-E ... 59122.html

Some of the boards have external antenna, but I have not done any serious testing yet. I need to do that because with the built-in antennas, the WiFI range and speed are not very good.

Very high on my wish list is a new motor controller from ST. The old one (Vnh2SP30) is very low cost and high performance, but available only for 5V world. With Blue Pill and ESP32, I need to use level shifters and that is awkward. In practice, I am "forced" to use Arduino Mega for projects with Vnh2SP30.

Ollie

Re: ESP32 - Widora Air

Post by Ollie » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:20 pm

Sorry, I was too quick to recommend the new Widora Air board. Perhaps the next version after 5.0 is ready for prime time.

Today I got my second Widora Air Ver 5.0. The blue LED was blinking when connecting the board to PC. The blinking stopped and the green and yellow LEDs were blinking when uploading a program into board. The upload was interrupted with a timeout error message. I did try all available transfer speeds down to 115200.

Compared to the first Widora board, I did notice that the large 8-pin IC was quite warm - almost hot. I was never able to get the second board to work.

With the first board, I did observe some quality issues. The uploading is not working with all USB cables, even when those cables work with Teensy and STM32. The built-in antenna has difficulties to find the networks. Compared to other ESP32 boards, the network detection can be several seconds slower. :(

leavesw

Post by leavesw » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:15 am

I got the ESP-32S AI-thinker module ($6) - the default Wifi AP and HTTP Webserver works OK - still not thoroughly tested it yet...