Before I hit ENTER for my order, I went around doing some window-shopping to lessen the sting of the too-high shipping costs; I found the ESP32 dev board. Today is the first play time with the product.
The Espersssif github for Arduino ESP32 is further along than what I expected. Installing the core & tools on my Linux workbook took less than 10 minutes. I pulled up the ArduinoIDE, configured the board selector for ESP32 dev, loaded the supplied WiFiScan sketch; presto, it compiled and successfully ran.
Sketch uses 387,073 bytes (37%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,044,464 bytes.
Global variables use 30,476 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 264,436 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 294,912 bytes.
Gotta love the SRAM values!