am i the only one ?

Anything not related to STM32
zmemw16

am i the only one ?

Post by zmemw16 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:02 pm

from a BBC page
diary entries she said she had wrote at the time i
that thinks this is incorrect ?
is this just the times or a degrade in the use of english ?
i see it almost everywhere, admittedly my 'O' level was a 4.

where/were; whether/weather, dozens of them. i am a very, very serious user of Kindle Unlimited and sadly they are profuse in the books and worse is that they're inconsistent. it's quite a rarity for me to go more than two/too days without a change of at least one book.
a spell checker won't have an issue, not sure what would ?

<ad> if you've ever spent 4 days in a tent with a force 7 blowing, get a Kindle. truly a sanity saver.</ad>

please don't start me on the use of 'or' v 'our'.

stephen

ahull

Re: am i the only one ?

Post by ahull » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 am

zmemw16 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:02 pm
from a BBC page
diary entries she said she had wrote at the time i
that thinks this is incorrect ?
is this just the times or a degrade in the use of english ?
i see it almost everywhere, admittedly my 'O' level was a 4.

where/were; whether/weather, dozens of them. i am a very, very serious user of Kindle Unlimited and sadly they are profuse in the books and worse is that they're inconsistent. it's quite a rarity for me to go more than two/too days without a change of at least one book.
a spell checker won't have an issue, not sure what would ?

<ad> if you've ever spent 4 days in a tent with a force 7 blowing, get a Kindle. truly a sanity saver.</ad>

please don't start me on the use of 'or' v 'our'.

stephen
No, you are no the only won ;)

I do have to ask though, where is the tent? I thought only us Scots were daft enough to be sitting in a tent in the middle of December.
- Andy Hull -

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 am

had wrote is indeed wrong it seems:
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ote-to-her

turboscrew

Post by turboscrew » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:56 am

ahull wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 am

I do have to ask though, where is the tent? I thought only us Scots were daft enough to be sitting in a tent in the middle of December.
Hello from Finland, where the draftees usually have a couple of weeks winter camp. Some of them, depending on the place they serve, get to camp in Lapland where it can be about -40 centigrades. In tents, of course.
:lol:

ahull

Post by ahull » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:57 am

"...diary entries she said she had wrote at the time ..." certainly does not qualify as "standard English". It is grammatically incorrect, and would have had "Granny Bell" my English teacher pulling her hair out. :D

Interestingly some of these idioms are in common usage in parts of the country. It would not be unusual to hear "...diary entries she said she had wrote at the time ..." in Glasgow for example.

Other words can take on different, often contradictory meanings, for example canny in the west of Scotland would mean can't.. literally can nae (can not), or alternatively canny with money, i.e. careful with their money to the point perhaps of being tight fisted, whereas in the north of England, canny as in "she's a canny lass" might be a low level compliment, suggesting she was good looking or pleasant or fun. In some parts of Scotland "ken" is used the way some people use the phrase ".. you know.." almost like punctuation. This does make an outsider, trying to follow a conversation in which Ken features rather tricky, especially if the speaker has a good broad Scottish accent to start with.

English has its standards.. the trouble is, there are so many of them, so you are free to use whichever ones you like. :lol:

As Bernard Shaw put it "It is impossible for an Englishman to open his mouth without making some other Englishman hate or despise him."
- Andy Hull -

turboscrew

Post by turboscrew » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

BTW, the same seems to be going on with Finnish too, and probably with many other languages.

Like Frank Zappa put it in "The Blue Light":
You can't even speak your own f*cking language
You can't read it anymore
You can't write it anymore

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm

@ahull
i was trying to start the second half of my pedal the coastline, in 2012 i think.
2011 was st annes to st annes via both newports, shell island, lands end, dover and hull.
stayed for a week, 100yds to beach, mussels galore - on rocks not ropes:-) £7 a night.
the southern newport, the time to pedal through !
other odd locations - free, but usually overnight only
location was very near to https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.12213 ... a=!3m1!1e3

funny feeling it was late April-May.
oh and my trailers' spoked wheels died, my stomach not far behind, had to wait for Argos to get me a new trailer, btw their available Tuesday actually mean lunchtime Wednesday even with my harassment !
so then i headed for home.

long time ago, spent about 2yrs in a motel in Crossford outside Dunfermline working offsite at Hillend, so i've a soft spot for the east side accents
an even longer time ago, flat on my back, bruise from chin at the bottom of my rib cage after a bit of somersaulting off my bike over a car bonnet and a bad landing, a very nice nurse, nice accent, told me she was from Dundee and then wouldn't tell me her name, i said ok i call you fruitcake. Then i got punched. pretty sure i was in shock way before that.

stephen

ahull

Post by ahull » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 am

zmemw16 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:13 pm
@ahull
i was trying to start the second half of my pedal the coastline, in 2012 i think.
2011 was st annes to st annes via both newports, shell island, lands end, dover and hull.
stayed for a week, 100yds to beach, mussels galore - on rocks not ropes:-) £7 a night.
the southern newport, the time to pedal through !
other odd locations - free, but usually overnight only
location was very near to https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.12213 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Walney island.. my wife's cousin and family lived there for a couple of years (the couple are both Doctors at Furness General Hospital).
I've been blown up and down that beach while taking the dog for a walk on many an occasion. There's a very good reason they put a wind farm just off shore there. :lol:
funny feeling it was late April-May.
oh and my trailers' spoked wheels died, my stomach not far behind, had to wait for Argos to get me a new trailer, btw their available Tuesday actually mean lunchtime Wednesday even with my harassment !
so then i headed for home.

long time ago, spent about 2yrs in a motel in Crossford outside Dunfermline working offsite at Hillend, so i've a soft spot for the east side accents
an even longer time ago, flat on my back, bruise from chin at the bottom of my rib cage after a bit of somersaulting off my bike over a car bonnet and a bad landing, a very nice nurse, nice accent, told me she was from Dundee and then wouldn't tell me her name, i said ok i call you fruitcake. Then i got punched. pretty sure i was in shock way before that.

stephen
She sounds like a canny lass to me. :D
- Andy Hull -

zmemw16

Post by zmemw16 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:59 pm

:lol:

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Stephen, try telling people over here they should spell it colour or neighbour... even my chrome autocorrect doesn't like them...