is GD32 chinese Cortex M4s a clone / relicensing of ST?

Working libraries, libraries being ported and related hardware
racemaniac

Re: is GD32 chinese Cortex M4s a clone / relicensing of ST?

Post by racemaniac » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:20 pm

dannyf wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:45 am
After I have that 1000 units of that board I just flash the exact same binary to all of them. Otherwise no one would every be able to produce any comercial product with STM32F1 MCUs.
I am pretty sure that you can flash STM binaries onto the equivalent GD chips. Does that make the GD identical to the STM parts?
Well, the people of this forum have noticed that is not the case. You can try to flash STM binaries onto a GD, but as some of the registers of the peripherals are different, some parts of your code just won't do what they do on an STM microcontroller...

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:53 pm

the people of this forum have noticed that is not the case. You can try to flash STM binaries onto a GD, but as some of the registers of the peripherals are different, some parts of your code just won't do what they do on an STM microcontroller...
I think you are saying two different things:

1) you can flash the STM binary onto a GD - you confirmed it, I saw it, and others have done it;
2) some of those STM binaries may not work on GD - you confirmed it, as have others, and I agree with that.
You are talking about writting a program to purposely run in a single part.
No. I can write a generic program - take blinky for example. Develop it on one STM part successfully and it will fail on other STM parts, or even different MCUs of the same STM part.
You know if you load that to the target MCU, it just runs fine, in thousands or millions of the target MCU,
you can be sure of that because it's a fact it was developed to be mass used and it is mass used.
only because care was taken in the development stage to make sure that's the case. it is not difficult at all to write code that wouldn't work from one mcu to another. as a matter of fact, that was routinely done.
So what I say is that such code that was developed and tested for STM, it may or may not work in a GD, you can not be sure of what it will do.
that has been what I have been saying all along. The fact that some STM binaries do not work on GD doesn't mean ALL STM binaries will not work on GD.

racemaniac

Post by racemaniac » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:15 pm

dannyf wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:53 pm
So what I say is that such code that was developed and tested for STM, it may or may not work in a GD, you can not be sure of what it will do.
that has been what I have been saying all along. The fact that some STM binaries do not work on GD doesn't mean ALL STM binaries will not work on GD.
The current impression is that any binary doing something else besides just toggling the pins a bit will probably not work, and that's quite bad. If you can prove the opposite, this forum will be very interested :)

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:19 pm

The current impression is that any binary doing something else besides just toggling the pins a bit will probably not work, and that's quite bad.
really? doesn't that suggest the whole arduino port to GD is doomed?

on the flip side, that does seem to suggest that GD can run (some) STM binaries. can we agree on that?
If you can prove the opposite, this forum will be very interested :)
maybe the arduino port to GD, available here, is a good starting point.

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:30 pm

looks like they have a pretty extensive library support for their devices.

http://www.gigadevice.com/product-downl ... cale=en_US

victor_pv

Post by victor_pv » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:17 pm

This is the status of the GD32 port:
http://stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... d32#p33251

dannyf

Post by dannyf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:48 pm

I see it now. it uses a lot more than just the gpio functions so it was doomed to fail from day 1. there is just no way they could have gotten it to run on the GD, right?

;)