Serial communication hardware

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: Serial communication hardware

Post by fpiSTM »

konczakp wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:01 pm is there any other hardware with more UARTs?
You can useSTM32 Finder (available for PC and Mobile):
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... er-pc.html
https://www.st.com/en/development-tools ... inder.html

Then as a criteria the number of UART. Maximum is 11.

Screenshot_20221013-142612_STM32 Finder.jpg
Screenshot_20221013-142612_STM32 Finder.jpg (54.7 KiB) Viewed 738 times
konczakp

Post by konczakp »

@fpiSTM thanks a lot! This helped me to find the perfect match for my project. I had no idea about such a program (stm finder). Thanks to that I found STM32 NUCLEO-F413 which has 10 UARTs and all available and it is not so expensive and it's fully supported by the Arduino IDE (nice)

@dannyf Thanks for the idea but it is to complicated for this. Dealing with conflicts and ACKs is not a peace a cake :)

@shinji I've red about this board but from 8 UARTs two of them are not available which gives me 6 for the project and still I would have to combine second board. But really appreciate Your proposition.

@GonzoG Have You tried to build this kind of network? Would it work only on 2 pairs of UTP/FTP cable? I only have 4 wires from 8 available (for every station) so if this needs all 8 then I will not be able to use it. Do You have any experience with this? Can You write something more about it?

@ozcar At first I thought it is great idea and not to complicated but it seems this can bus is also half-duplex. I'm not giving up on this and I'm still reading about it because this could be the easiest and cheapest way.
GonzoG
Answers: 26

Post by GonzoG »

@konczakp In 10/100 Mbit/s networks only 2 pairs are used (one for RX, one for TX). Other two can be used for other things (e.g. PoE).
I think that using Ethernet is easier then RS485. Whore hardware part is done by NIC (Network Interface Controller), you just need to send/receive data. There are STM32 MCUs with Ehternet hardware built-in (e.g. F107, F207, F217, and more) or you can use external NIC that communicates with MCU using UART (e.g. CH9121) or SPI (e.g W5100, ENC28J60).
There are also libraries for Ethernet for Arduino board and STM32duino.
There's a topic about using Eth on STM32 (different matter, but show how to use Eth to send UDP packets): viewtopic.php?t=1732

And using ethernet you can easily connect PC to the network and monitor all traffic (using network sniffer program like Wireshark).
imk

Post by imk »

I run an arduino nano to PC serial USB (5v) at 9600 with parity from house to garage about 20m without issues.
Using a four wire ribbon cable with power in-between the data lines eg Gnd,RX,5V,Tx
Re number of ports would it be possible to run you system with the micros connected in serial to each other in a ring configuration.
each micro would have it own address that you send a message to and just pass on any messages not for it, bit like Token Ring
Just a thought imk
1201 Alarm

Return to “General discussion”