Soooo what do i need to know about the new core?

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
Mangy_Dog
Answers: 1

Soooo what do i need to know about the new core?

Post by Mangy_Dog »

Hi all Nutsy or Mangy Dog from the old forum here... go by Mangy now tbh...

Anyway sooo im glad to see the forums and site is now back up.... I had my doubts for a while i must admit.

So i guess i need to get up to speed on things. I'm assuming this forum is mostly for support on the official stm32duino core and not rogers core?

So whats actually happening? I know Roger is no longer actively developing his core, is STM taking over his core and developing it or have they started off with a new core?

If it is a new core how much does it differ? Will libraries that were built for rogers core still function on this core? What do I need to consider?

And also if different, is rogers core still getting help and support here? Is Daves and others forks still being worked on and supported here?

And is STM spreading the core builds for the other main MCUs they offer? Outside of f103 and the few F4s rogers core supported?

Are the old boot loaders compatible or do we need to switch over?

Anyway I probably missed some questions but i think you get the jist of it... What do i need to know to carry on developing my stuff :D

Thanks for keeping the lights on

Mangy
Just a dogs body developer, mostly making props and stuff...
ag123
Answers: 25

Re: Soooo what do i need to know about the new core?

Post by ag123 »

imho the 'official core' still remains as the 'official core', roger's libmaple core still remains as the 'community core'
there are different merits of them both, 'official core' is based on HAL offers compatibility across diverse stm32 range of boards.
libmaple core is specific (if legacy) for f103c{8,b} and the f4xx (mainly f407, f405, f401, f411) merged from steve's libmaple.

personally i find libmaple codes smaller and easier to understand, mainly due to the smaller size. But then there may be features that is 'absent' which one may create on your own
stas2z
Answers: 8

Post by stas2z »

Mangy_Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am Hi all Nutsy or Mangy Dog from the old forum here... go by Mangy now tbh...

Anyway sooo im glad to see the forums and site is now back up.... I had my doubts for a while i must admit.

So i guess i need to get up to speed on things. I'm assuming this forum is mostly for support on the official stm32duino core and not rogers core?
Not exactly.
Yes, now it maintained by Frederic @fpiSTM, who is the one of the STM32 official core creators, but it doesn't means it's targeted at official core only. Roger's core talks still here and still more popular.
Mangy_Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am So whats actually happening? I know Roger is no longer actively developing his core, is STM taking over his core and developing it or have they started off with a new core?
Roger and community are still working on it. But here i c several current and future problems. F103 is pretty old, about 10 years, have big errata etc. STM have tons of newer and better chips atm, but community core requires very very huge amount of work to add new chips support as it based on libmaple which was written for exact one chip from scratch. I can't see any pro's of f103 these days except low price (but also a lot of counterfeits flooded the market)
Mangy_Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am If it is a new core how much does it differ? Will libraries that were built for rogers core still function on this core? What do I need to consider?
If library stay inside arduino api, yes, but if this library trying to use hardware directly or using libmaple - no
Mangy_Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am And also if different, is rogers core still getting help and support here? Is Daves and others forks still being worked on and supported here?
yes, you can discuss any core here, no restrictions
Mangy_Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am And is STM spreading the core builds for the other main MCUs they offer? Outside of f103 and the few F4s rogers core supported?
Most stm mcus are supported, including very special like mp1
Mangy_Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am Are the old boot loaders compatible or do we need to switch over?
good old stm32duino bootloader for f103 is supported by official core (both, old libmaple and roger's 2.0), hid bootloader for f103 is also supported

but if you are talking about other chips, no, bootloader is a low level thing which usually works with exact hardware and porting it to another mcus is a pain
but all stm chips have it's own builtin serial bootloader, and many of them contains builtin usb dfu bootloader
Mangy_Dog

Post by Mangy_Dog »

Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know where everything stands. Im in the stm32 irc channel on freenode too and i regularly get tutted for still using f103s :p But its a staple chip that I've used a lot so its what i know... and ive relied on rogers core for a very long time now.

I do use a few complex libraries that wont be easy to port to a new system that uses the arduino back end and was tweaked for rogers core... so still without testing not sure they would work on the official core. But will test some point...

And yes fakes............. Soooo many fakes now. Ive tried to buy sets of stmf103cb 's several times now each time ive had either completely different chips rebadged, stmf103c6's rebadged or dead chips.... its almost impossible to get good chips now without buying the heavily marked up prices from the western shops. (mouser digikey farnell rs....)

It used to be you could get new CB or C8 ships for about 50p-£! each, but now even the fakes are selling for around £1-£2 each and still fake....

:( It appears Lscs is about the only place to go now for a "bargain" as at least there the supply chain is some what vetted...
ag123
Answers: 25

Post by ag123 »

it seemed to sound like one day to get a 'blue pill' u'd need to design a pcb order it made, order the stm32s and parts solder them yourself, omg it is interesting times ;)
Mangy_Dog

Post by Mangy_Dog »

Oh ive been using custom boards now for a couple of years... Just wish i could find a good supply of chips at bargain prices :/
cptcredible

Post by cptcredible »

What is LSCS ?
Mangy_Dog

Post by Mangy_Dog »

Return to “General discussion”