Blue pill, black pill and RadioHead library

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
roniin

Blue pill, black pill and RadioHead library

Post by roniin »

Hello all,

I'm new to stm32duino (one week), sorry about that. Until now, I only programmed for AVR. Currently working on the project: LoRa RF95 (SPI) + BME280 (I2C) + BH1750 (I2C) + Oled SSD1306 (SPI) + of course STM32 :).

I have one success and a million questions. I started my project on STM32F103C8 blue pill from china. It works very well. My work environment:
- Arduino 1.8.12
- Board manager: http://dan.drown.org/stm32duino/package ... index.json (is this Roger ??)
- RadioHead library http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/ ... -1.101.zip
STM32 is talking to Nano V3 - great. Program STM32 via ST-LINK V2 - Super.

First problem: If I choose a board from https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardMana ... index.json the sketch does not compile.
Even if I use the example from the RadioHead library, there are errors. Can I do something to fix it?

Second problem: can I use ST-LINK V2 for boards from https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardMana ... index.json ?? This option is missing, I can't find it.

Next issue, I ordered the STM32F401CCU6 boards, but for them the RadioHead compilation always fails (even for an example). Here boards from https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardMana ... index.json work better, because only for them the libraries BME280, BH1750 and U8glib.h are ok.
Is there any way to radio LoRa RF95 for https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardMana ... index.json? Of course I can use blue, but black looks better;)

I apologize for the long text and the poor English.
stas2z
Answers: 8

Re: Blue pill, black pill and RadioHead library

Post by stas2z »

http://dan.drown.org/stm32duino/package ... index.json - is a roger's core
https://github.com/stm32duino/BoardMana ... index.json - an official core

about radiohead library
as described here - https://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/RadioHead/ it's compatible with official core as well as with rogers (but he mentioned strange hangs with roger's core) so till you are hiding compile errors no one can help

About st-link and official core, install STM32 Cube Programmer from here
and chose Stm32CubeProgrammer (SWD) option
roniin

Post by roniin »

Thank you for your reply and information. Of course I will check the STM32 Cube Programmer + Stm32CubeProgrammer (SWD).

Regarding the sketch, which with Roger's core compiles and works well on the board, if I set the official core:
- Generic SMT32F1 series
- BluePill F103C8 64Kb
the compiler stops with such errors:

Code: Select all

Arduino:1.8.12 (Windows 7), Płytka:"Generic STM32F1 series, BluePill F103C8, STM32CubeProgrammer (SWD), Enabled (generic 'Serial'), None, Low/Full Speed, Smallest (-Os default), Newlib Nano (default)"

C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:18:21: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to 'TIM_TypeDef*' [-fpermissive]
   18 | HardwareTimer timer(1);
      |                     ^
      |                     |
      |                     int
In file included from C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/stm32/analog.h:45,
                 from C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/board.h:8,
                 from C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/wiring.h:41,
                 from C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:32,
                 from C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead/RadioHead.h:1298,
                 from C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead/RHGenericDriver.h:9,
                 from C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead/RH_ASK.h:9,
                 from C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:6:
C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/HardwareTimer.h:98:32: note:   initializing argument 1 of 'HardwareTimer::HardwareTimer(TIM_TypeDef*)'
   98 |     HardwareTimer(TIM_TypeDef *instance);
      |                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~
C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp: In member function 'void RH_ASK::timerSetup()':
C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:188:11: error: 'class HardwareTimer' has no member named 'setPeriod'
  188 |     timer.setPeriod((1000000/8)/_speed);
      |           ^~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:190:11: error: 'class HardwareTimer' has no member named 'setChannel1Mode'; did you mean 'TimerModes_t HardwareTimer::_ChannelMode [4]'? (not accessible from this context)
  190 |     timer.setChannel1Mode(TIMER_OUTPUT_COMPARE);
      |           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/stm32/analog.h:45,
                 from C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/board.h:8,
                 from C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/wiring.h:41,
                 from C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:32,
                 from C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead/RadioHead.h:1298,
                 from C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead/RHGenericDriver.h:9,
                 from C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead/RH_ASK.h:9,
                 from C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:6:
C:\Users\1234\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STM32\hardware\stm32\1.8.0\cores\arduino/HardwareTimer.h:152:19: note: declared private here
  152 |     TimerModes_t  _ChannelMode[TIMER_CHANNELS];
      |                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:191:11: error: 'class HardwareTimer' has no member named 'setCompare'
  191 |     timer.setCompare(TIMER_CH1, 1);  // Interrupt 1 count after each update
      |           ^~~~~~~~~~
C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:191:22: error: 'TIMER_CH1' was not declared in this scope; did you mean 'TIMER_NUM'?
  191 |     timer.setCompare(TIMER_CH1, 1);  // Interrupt 1 count after each update
      |                      ^~~~~~~~~
      |                      TIMER_NUM
C:\Users\1234\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:193:11: error: 'class HardwareTimer' has no member named 'attachCompare1Interrupt'; did you mean 'attachInterrupt'?
  193 |     timer.attachCompare1Interrupt(interrupt);
      |           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |           attachInterrupt
exit status 1
Błąd kompilacji dla płytki Generic STM32F1 series.

Ten raport powinien zawierać więcej informacji jeśli w 
File -> Preferencje zostanie włączona opcja "Pokaż
szczegółowe informacje podczas kompilacji"
My sketch is "ugly" (test version), but of course I can also paste it. I can also clean it and paste only what I have a problem with.
stas2z
Answers: 8

Post by stas2z »

Official core have a different hardware timer api, so its required to fix library to work with this core

https://github.com/stm32duino/wiki/wiki ... er-library
roniin

Post by roniin »

Ok, so I can stay with Roger's core + RadioHead for F104C8 for now. ST-LINK reads that I have 128k Flash, even though it's C8 :) Can I use all 128k memory? If so, I have the perfect platform for my project.

The second option is to use RadioLib + Official Core. I was looking for a solution in the forum and jgromes wrote about it. I checked and examples are compiling for the Official Core for F103C8 and even F401CC which I am waiting for delivery. I just need to learn RadioLib, a new library for me, and I hope it will work with RadioHead;) I have to check all the possibilities and the combination.

I am very excited about STM32 after switching from AVR. This is very evident when using OLED. For AVR this was a challenge, not enough Ram for frame buffering when the program was large, not too fast refresh. STM32 does the same with such lightness, I have to slow down the animation very much :) In addition, Ram is a lot, I don't even optimize variables;) (I know I should).

stas2z thanks for your help.

--------------------------------------------- EDIT ----------------------------------------
I tested the configuration: blue pill F104C8 + Official Core + RadioLib. The sketch compiles correctly, but the processor "stops" on the command int state = lora.begin (); My next command is digitalWrite (PC13, LOW); and it's never done.

I made another test: Arduino Pro Mini (AVR processor) + RadioLib + sample sketch. I did not connect the RFM95 radio, Arduino itself. The program returned error -2 no radio. It should be. Test passed.

Then I just connected the blue pill, no radio, the same sketch as above. Again, the program stops at int state = lora.begin (); :( Returns no error via serial port, silence ... Test failed.

This is the sketch from the examples a bit modified by me. The last thing I see via serial port is: [SX1278] Initializing GO !!

Code: Select all

/*
   RadioLib SX127x Receive with Interrupts Example

This example listens for LoRa transmissions and tries to
   receive them. Once a packet is received, an interrupt is
   triggered. To successfully receive data, the following
   settings have to be the same on both transmitter
   and receiver:
    - carrier frequency
    - bandwidth
    - spreading factor
    - coding rate
    - sync word

Other modules from SX127x/RFM9x family can also be used.

For full API reference, see the GitHub Pages
   https://jgromes.github.io/RadioLib/
*/

// include the library
#include <RadioLib.h>

// SX1278 has the following connections:
// NSS pin:   10
// DIO0 pin:  2
// RESET pin: 9
// DIO1 pin:  3
SX1278 lora = new Module(PA0, PA1, PA2, PA3);

// or using RadioShield
// https://github.com/jgromes/RadioShield
//SX1278 lora = RadioShield.ModuleA;

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(PC13, OUTPUT);
  // initialize SX1278 with default settings
  Serial.print(F("[SX1278] Initializing ... "));
  // carrier frequency:           434.0 MHz
  // bandwidth:                   125.0 kHz
  // spreading factor:            9
  // coding rate:                 7
  // sync word:                   0x12
  // output power:                17 dBm
  // current limit:               100 mA
  // preamble length:             8 symbols
  // amplifier gain:              0 (automatic gain control)
  digitalWrite(PC13, LOW);
  Serial.println(F("[SX1278] Initializing  3 "));
  delay(1000); digitalWrite(PC13, HIGH);
  Serial.println(F("[SX1278] Initializing  2 "));
  delay(1000); digitalWrite(PC13, LOW);
  Serial.println(F("[SX1278] Initializing  1 "));
  delay(1000); digitalWrite(PC13, HIGH);
  Serial.println(F("[SX1278] Initializing GO!! "));

int state = lora.begin();
  digitalWrite(PC13, LOW);
  if (state == ERR_NONE) {
    Serial.println(F("success!"));
  } else {
    Serial.print(F("failed, code "));
    Serial.println(state);
    while (true);
  }
  digitalWrite(PC13, LOW);
  // set the function that will be called
  // when new packet is received
  lora.setDio0Action(setFlag);

// start listening for LoRa packets
  Serial.print(F("[SX1278] Starting to listen ... "));
  state = lora.startReceive();
  if (state == ERR_NONE) {
    Serial.println(F("success!"));
  } else {
    Serial.print(F("failed, code "));
    Serial.println(state);
    while (true);
  }

// if needed, 'listen' mode can be disabled by calling
  // any of the following methods:
  //
  // lora.standby()
  // lora.sleep()
  // lora.transmit();
  // lora.receive();
  // lora.readData();
  // lora.scanChannel();
}

// flag to indicate that a packet was received
volatile bool receivedFlag = false;

// disable interrupt when it's not needed
volatile bool enableInterrupt = true;

// this function is called when a complete packet
// is received by the module
// IMPORTANT: this function MUST be 'void' type
//            and MUST NOT have any arguments!
void setFlag(void) {
  // check if the interrupt is enabled
  if(!enableInterrupt) {
    return;
  }

// we got a packet, set the flag
  receivedFlag = true;
}

void loop() {
  // check if the flag is set
  if(receivedFlag) {
    // disable the interrupt service routine while
    // processing the data
    enableInterrupt = false;

// reset flag
    receivedFlag = false;

// you can read received data as an Arduino String
    String str;
    int state = lora.readData(str);

// you can also read received data as byte array
    /*
      byte byteArr[8];
      int state = lora.readData(byteArr, 8);
    */

if (state == ERR_NONE) {
      // packet was successfully received
      Serial.println(F("[SX1278] Received packet!"));

// print data of the packet
      Serial.print(F("[SX1278] Data:\t\t"));
      Serial.println(str);

// print RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator)
      Serial.print(F("[SX1278] RSSI:\t\t"));
      Serial.print(lora.getRSSI());
      Serial.println(F(" dBm"));

// print SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio)
      Serial.print(F("[SX1278] SNR:\t\t"));
      Serial.print(lora.getSNR());
      Serial.println(F(" dB"));

// print frequency error
      Serial.print(F("[SX1278] Frequency error:\t"));
      Serial.print(lora.getFrequencyError());
      Serial.println(F(" Hz"));

} else if (state == ERR_CRC_MISMATCH) {
      // packet was received, but is malformed
      Serial.println(F("[SX1278] CRC error!"));

} else {
      // some other error occurred
      Serial.print(F("[SX1278] Failed, code "));
      Serial.println(state);

}

// put module back to listen mode
    lora.startReceive();

// we're ready to receive more packets,
    // enable interrupt service routine
    enableInterrupt = true;
  }

}
I probably make a basic mistake, but I couldn't find the code example for my blue pill. :cry:
If anyone has time to look at this, thank you in advance.

Return to “General discussion”