let me introduice myself

Jblb

let me introduice myself

Post by Jblb »

hi everybody,

let me introduice myself:

I am a maker, professionally technician in live performance, but also one of the creator of the Haum hacker-space in Le mans, next to @fpiSTM office...

like most of the hackers/maker we are using Arduino board but, with ST as neighbors and because board are more powerful, we are switching to stm device more and more... at least we try !

happy to find a place to discuss this and share with others.
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: let me introduice myself

Post by fpiSTM »

Hi @Jblb
Welcome, maybe we will meet soon :mrgreen:
zoomx

Post by zoomx »

Welcome!

St is my neighbour too but in Sicily
Jblb

Post by Jblb »

fpiSTM wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 am Hi @Jblb
Welcome, maybe we will meet soon :mrgreen:
i hope so :D
mrburnette
Answers: 7

The only constant is change.

Post by mrburnette »

Jblb wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:17 pm ...
like most of the hackers/maker we are using Arduino board but, with ST as neighbors and because board are more powerful, we are switching to stm device more and more... at least we try !
There is an opportunity here to capture valuable data and information on decision-making.

Once "Arduino" was a simple ecosystem ... a few useful 8-bit microcontrollers with a common set of API "cores" and support libraries. Originally a physical educational enabler to diversify the user audience to include non-traditional users of programmable logic, Arduino as a concept has itself diversify to include capabilities vastly superior to the early product line.

15 years down the road from the Arduino 2005 board version of the Atmega-8 (and much fighting within the ranks of early contributors) one would expect a different playing field. Arduino as a company no longer simply support introductory commodity hardware; their latest offering is a powerhouse:
https://blog.arduino.cc/2020/01/07/ardu ... -ces-2020/

ARM processors are all the rage which makes STM's support for an "arduino" Official Core more important than ever: end-user choice of hardware. In this area, I view STM as a powerhouse player, poised to provide capable microcontrollers for the basement hobbyist or the professional needs to migrate from hobby-Arduino to mainstream product while leveraging much of the initial design and coding effort on your project. At $$99.90 USD this is definitely not a $2 BluePill. Official Arduino boards were never cheap based on "clone" pricing, but one thing is certain: Arduino.cc thinks there us a uC board market and they are preparing to play in that high-end area. Kind of makes me rethink the Teensy 4.0 pricing of under $20:
https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html

Opinion:
Is the world ready for a $100 Arduino? I do not think so. My experience with the ESP32 and Raspberry Pi's suggest that the $3 range to $55 range (respectively) is habitually misused often enough that some makers need to have a study in basic economics and engineering.
... it is not about the fastest clock, the most cpu, the fast-access SRAM, or the most I/O. Rather, it is about matching project requirements to an enabling technology and doing an educated guess at leaving some overhead for the project scope-creep issues.

Ray
Last edited by mrburnette on Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

and oh well Arduino Portenta H7 - featured in CES 2020
https://store.arduino.cc/usa/portenta-h7
feature a
STM32H747XI dual Cortex®-M7+M4 32bit low power ARM MCU
now from m3 - h7 to cortex-A + cortex-M (STM32MP1)
it is literally 'nearly everything under the stm32 sun' there is a stm32duino for it
but literally the big part is HAL, it is huge, really non trival
the size and complexity is something i don't really like
but it explain why it (HAL) runs on so many different stm32 skus
:lol:
mrburnette

Post by mrburnette »

ag123 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:15 pm ...
but literally the big part is HAL, it is huge, really non trival
the size and complexity is something i don't really like
but it explain why it (HAL) runs on so many different stm32 skus
The complexity of HAL should not your gray cells worry.
The compiler/linker should make any path through HAL efficient: minimum code size or fastest code execution or a balance.
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

mrburnette wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:30 pm
The compiler/linker should make any path through HAL efficient: minimum code size or fastest code execution or a balance.
but that's why it creates side effects such as this
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=93
and when one is one is analyzing codes to figure out what goes wrong with ones own codes
it is nearly searching for a needle in a haystack
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Post by fpiSTM »

ag123 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=93
This is not linked.
mrburnette

Post by mrburnette »

ag123 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:43 pm
mrburnette wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:30 pm
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=93
and when one is one is analyzing codes to figure out what goes wrong with ones own codes
it is nearly searching for a needle in a haystack

I know it is frustrating working new code.
But it takes a long, long time to sanitize a codebase. One of the reasons I tell every serious programmer of the STM32 to drop Roger's code inherited from Leaflabs and move to the STM Official port is that every user counts. Your work effort will be rewarded with better code. There is a business behind STM Official Arduino codebase, Corporate STM needs to see activity to warrant the costs. Nothing is free.

Return to “Let us know a bit about you and your projects”