STM32 Open Time Server

What are you developing?
AndrewBCN
Answers: 1

STM32 Open Time Server

Post by AndrewBCN »

I am announcing my next STM32 project, the STM32 Open Time Server.
This is a follow-up to my previous project, the STM32 GPSDO, which is also described in this forum.
The STM32 GPSDO uses an STM32F411CEU6 "Black Pill" to synchronize a 10MHz OCXO (oven controlled crystal oscillator) with GPS time. A small extension allows the STM32 GPSDO to generate a 1PPS pulse synchronized to UTC top-of-second within a +/- 100ns window.

The STM32 Open Time Server adds an STM32 Nucleo board with an Ethernet interface that can generate IEEE-1588 hardware timestamped Ethernet packets. The STM32 GPSDO provides the UTC-synchronized 1PPS that the Nucleo board requires to generate the timestamps. Thanks to its precise timekeeping, the STM32 Nucleo board can run an PTP server and/or an NTP server, providing sub-microsecond precise timing for any network.

Just like the STM32GPSDO, the STM32 Open Time Server is going to be a 100% Open Source Hardware and Software project.
oshw-logo-200-px.png
oshw-logo-200-px.png (5.5 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
Reneen

Re: STM32 Open Time Server

Post by Reneen »

Hi Andrew.

You reply to my question on the EEVBlog asking for info on "Laureline NTP" and you mentioned that you were working on your own NTP server. Have you made any progress yet? Are you still planning in using the code from the Laureline?

I purchased and got running the NTP on the Teensy 4.1, and it definitely maintains the right time (at least for 4 hours), as I just put it together and am impressed with how simple it is, but I am looking for something that can be user configured without making changes to the code either via USB, like the Laureline, or even better if it were thru the Ethernet port or a second port with a different IP address.

As you can see I am not putting all of my eggs in one basket. this is not a pressing need, more of a hobby, but possibly using it to argument the NTP time coming from the Internet.

BTW, I also purchased and received a couple of "Black Pill" STM32.

Awaiting for your project completion by next week! LOL

Renee
AndrewBCN

Post by AndrewBCN »

Hi Renee,
I am slowly climbing the learning curve for programming under FreeRTOS, which is a requirement for implementing either an NTP or a PTP server on the STM32F429. And I haven't got started on reviewing the Laureline NTP server code yet.

As I suggested on the EEVblog, if all you need is a stripped down NTP server then any of the affordable SBCs running Linux (RPi, Orange Pi, Banana Pi, etc...) or an old Pentium or Celeron machine coupled with a GPS receiver, or even a $25 home router running OpenWRT will do the job, with very little development work required. This is because the Linux kernel already provides most of the low-level support for the NTP protocol, plus of course telnet or SSH support so one can login to the NTP server machine and configure whatever needs to be configured.

For a PTP server with sub-microsecond precision, there is more work involved, and the Ethernet interface must support hardware timestamping. And that is when FreeRTOS comes into play. So I expect this will take some time. :ugeek:
Reneen

Post by Reneen »

Andrew,

I already have a Pi-4 with a GPS and RTC running as an NTP server for the time being, but I was looking for something better and more stable.

Take your time, I know coding this wont be an easy project. I was only kidding when I said i was expecting it next week!

In the meantime i will get my own copy of your STM32GPSDO working to be ready for the NTP. Considering the delays on getting hardware, should I start getting a STM32 Nucleo board with a STM32F429? Are you committed to using it? Did I see that you mentioned getting samples?

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Renee
AndrewBCN

Post by AndrewBCN »

Hi Renee,
Reneen wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 pm Andrew,

I already have a Pi-4 with a GPS and RTC running as an NTP server for the time being, but I was looking for something better and more stable.
What do you mean by "better and more stable" ?
Reneen wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 pm Take your time, I know coding this wont be an easy project. I was only kidding when I said i was expecting it next week!

In the meantime i will get my own copy of your STM32GPSDO working to be ready for the NTP. Considering the delays on getting hardware, should I start getting a STM32 Nucleo board with a STM32F429? Are you committed to using it? Did I see that you mentioned getting samples?

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Renee
Yes, I am committed to the STM32F429 Nucleo 144 boards for this project because they have hardware timestamping and I am used to the STM32F4 architecture. And yes I got two samples, so I can use one as a PTP master and the other as a PTP slave, ditto for NTP. That and a number of SBCs running Armbian should be enough to test and debug this project.

Thank you for your kind offer to help. It's always essential to have someone to bounce ideas around, so please if you have any questions or suggestions, don't hesitate to post here or on the EEVblog. I tend to focus on software issues here and hardware issues on the EEVblog forum, btw.

Return to “Projects”