Sega Genesis to USB (XBox360) adapter

What are you developing?
arpruss

Sega Genesis to USB (XBox360) adapter

Post by arpruss »

I picked up an At Games Sega Genesis Classics console for $5, with wired controllers, and made a USB adapter for the controllers with a blue pill (actually, one using the fake c8 that is actually more like a c6):
https://github.com/arpruss/GenesisToUSBDual
The project emulates dual XBox 360 wired controllers. It needs the 0.92 version of my USB Composite library.

The controllers work fine at 3.3V. The web says the originals do too. The sketch has wiring instructions.

I used home-made DB9 sockets made out of a 3D printed socket with 0.1" header glued in. The case is here.

Project instructions are here.

YakForger

Re: Sega Genesis to USB (XBox360) adapter

Post by YakForger »

Man, that's awesome, thanks for the in-depth tutorial! I was looking for a game-related project to start in the Arduino world, and this looks like a perfect idea to me! The guide is clear, I hope I'll be able to apply it well enough... If things go right, I'll post feedback there!
BennehBoy
Answers: 1

Post by BennehBoy »

Cool beans, I also used your composite library to make a C64/Atari style joystick to USB adapter, code is here -> https://github.com/BennehBoy/ZipstickUSB

Newcomers, please note that this library requires use of the libmaple based core (Roger's core).

PS, I've not tested this with the latest library release
arpruss

Post by arpruss »

Nice!

You might want to remove the adc config line in the code, since the stick you're using is digital.
BennehBoy
Answers: 1

Post by BennehBoy »

Yeah, it was literally a really quick mash up to get some Amiga joysticks usable with amibian.
MoDu

Post by MoDu »

From a fellow retro converter, good stuff!
Thanks for sharing.
jacobli

Post by jacobli »

You did a great job, I'm also a fan of Sega games!!
dalek

Post by dalek »

Just registered to say thanks heaps for this!

I built one on the weekend and put it in a small project box with real DB9 male connectors. Works really well with the 8bitdo 2.4g genesis dongles (in case anyone cares they run from 3.3V pins just fine) :)

Return to “Projects”