Chips without support

If you made your own board, post here, unless you built a Maple or Maple mini clone etc
The_Faulty

Chips without support

Post by The_Faulty »

Hello all, I want to make some boards with processors that are currently not listed to have support. (the STM32F301K6U6, STM32G030K8T6, STM32F730R8T6, STM32H750VBT6) Can anyone tell me if these would be covered by existing code, and if not, how I would go about adding support for them (either requesting or resources to do it myself).
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: Chips without support

Post by fpiSTM »

Hi,
Currently, they are no generic variant for those MCU.
It is planned to add all generic series variants.
You can create it:
https://github.com/stm32duino/wiki/wiki ... 28board%29
The_Faulty

Post by The_Faulty »

fpiSTM wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:20 am You can create it:
https://github.com/stm32duino/wiki/wiki ... 28board%29
Thanks for the response, my friends are saying I will hate myself if I go through the process of adding support myself. Have you ever made one? If so can you comment on how hard it is? Thanks again.
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Post by fpiSTM »

As I'm the owner of the stm32duino Githug organisation and the main developer well it is easy for me 😉
stas2z
Answers: 8

Post by stas2z »

Adding your own variant can cause some pain but also will help to better understand how it works inside :)
The_Faulty

Post by The_Faulty »

fpiSTM wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:52 am As I'm the owner of the stm32duino Githug organisation and the main developer well it is easy for me 😉
Well, I would hope so otherwise I'd be in for a rude awakening haha. I think I'll only use one unsupported processor and just have the other ones be similar to what I have picked out so I can try making the addition myself but still have some that should work.
The_Faulty

Post by The_Faulty »

stas2z wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:26 am Adding your own variant can cause some pain but also will help to better understand how it works inside :)
Yep, that is part of what I want to get out of this project
stas2z
Answers: 8

Post by stas2z »

The_Faulty wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:34 am
fpiSTM wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:52 am As I'm the owner of the stm32duino Githug organisation and the main developer well it is easy for me 😉
Well, I would hope so otherwise I'd be in for a rude awakening haha. I think I'll only use one unsupported processor and just have the other ones be similar to what I have picked out so I can try making the addition myself but still have some that should work.
processors are supported by STMicro HAL, no problems with it, official core is based on HAL, so you need to make a variant for your board and it should work properly for most cases
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

The_Faulty wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:52 am ...
Thanks for the response, my friends are saying I will hate myself if I go through the process of adding support myself.
The variant creation process is a short recipe ... 8 steps and you are done. There are lots of working examples to follow.

1 - Create a copy of the stm32/variants/board_template folder with a name of your choice.
2 - Add pins mapping
3 - Review pins mapping
4 - Review pins and signals pins numbering
5 - System Clock configuration
6 - Update ldscript.ld
7 - HAL configuration
8 - Declare the variant

Surprise and shock your friends ... those naysayers :lol:

Ray
toogooda
Answers: 1

Post by toogooda »

I would like to add support for the STM32L152 range. There are some STM boards ~ 3 that have them so a generic one which just changes Flash/Ram and led pin should not be complicated right?
I will have a go :)

Return to “Custom design boards”