No one even mentioned the new Raspberry Pi Pico?

Anything not related to STM32
windyyam

No one even mentioned the new Raspberry Pi Pico?

Post by windyyam »

https://hackaday.com/2021/01/20/raspber ... th-4-pico/

looks awesome, RPI finally get their hand into microcontrollers. A $4 dual M0 core 264kB sram 2MB flash USB support, I think it's only a matter of time for Arduino support. Before that I would still stick to ESP32 :D
ag123
Answers: 24

Re: No one even mentioned the new Raspberry Pi Pico?

Post by ag123 »

and beagleboard goes risc v
https://beagleboard.org/beaglev
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

Released without RTOS support ... boo. :(

And M0+ cores are adequate but nothing to get excited over.

Upper clock is listed as 133 MHz. The 2x PIO is ok, but Cypress PSoC is been doing this for years, and better.

The "best" advance I can read is the boost-buck integrated DC-DC supply.
windyyam

Post by windyyam »

ag123 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:28 pm and beagleboard goes risc v
https://beagleboard.org/beaglev
espressif seems also switching to riscv
windyyam

Post by windyyam »

mrburnette wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:44 pm Released without RTOS support ... boo. :(

And M0+ cores are adequate but nothing to get excited over.

Upper clock is listed as 133 MHz. The 2x PIO is ok, but Cypress PSoC is been doing this for years, and better.

The "best" advance I can read is the boost-buck integrated DC-DC supply.
yes RTOS could be a problem but it's only a matter of time, hard to imagine a foundation like RPI cant get OS support. For a $4 boards it's overkill already though my favorite ESP32 do too. I'm hoping RPI can bring some varieties to the world because Arduino framework is really old at this time, Its not designed to work with something like multi-core and OS although ESP32 does some fantastic tricks on that.
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

my guess is a 'duino' would be ported to it, arduino/wiring platform is simply too popular :lol:
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Post by fpiSTM »

stevestrong
Answers: 8

Post by stevestrong »

I didn't dig to deep, but has the Pico a DCMI interface?
What I can see is that Pico has great PIO which is best for WS2812 users.
Beside that and the second core I think a F4 can do all the rest as well, eventually faster (up to 180 MHz).
But it is certainly very interesting, I will probably buy one.
Just4Fun
Answers: 1

Post by Just4Fun »

Anyway I currently prefer to play with a 68008 CPU... :lol:

mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

Sadly, it will not be at a $4 price-point. The ESP32 (IMO) remains king of the WiFi 2.4G, BT LE, Arduino-compatible space for the moment with a $5 module price in quantity x5. U.S.D. Amazon free-shipment U.S. (Advertised as 2-core... see graphic at end of post.)

There is obviously a great opportunity in this space but "hobbyists" do not drive technology; rather they drive a secondary supply channel. The fact that the Raspberry Pi Foundation is releasing the custom Pico uC to outside board makers is very interesting to me and suggests some backroom deals with unnamed parties that would benefit from wider distribution of the Pico chip. (Yes, I am a cynic ... an old one rarely proven wrong.)
https://www.espressif.com/en/products/socs/esp32S
ESP32-S2 is a highly integrated, low-power, single-core Wi-Fi Microcontroller SoC, designed to be secure and cost-effective, with a high performance and a rich set of IO capabilities.
For the adventurers:
ESP32-C3 is pin-compatible with ESP8266. It has a single core RISC-V 32-bit CPU @160 MHz and includes 400 kB of SRAM and 384 kB of flash built-in.
Not everyone wants to play with the newest chip tech (I am the lone exception), rather one should play with the tech that drives their interests. Otherwise, one collects far too many useless toys. 8-bit uC are still very useful even with Arduino core overhead; careful design can create remarkably small programs. When operated at 12 - 8 MHz, the 8-bit (old) AVR even run at 3.3 Volts and have very good low-power requirements. Done correctly, one can create a 1-chip arduino with RC internal clock ... no external support components.

OneChipPony.jpg
OneChipPony.jpg (6.45 KiB) Viewed 276744 times
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUaKdAO7tI0[/youtube]

Working with dual-core architecture is going to take some time to get the software background down on proper threading of code. This is really an area where the ESP32 shines as the freeRTOS is automatically configured to run Arduino user code on cpu_1 and core radio code on cpu_0 with no programmer intervention.

ESP32S is not ESP-S2
ESP32S (exception).PNG
ESP32S (exception).PNG (94.19 KiB) Viewed 276762 times

Return to “Off topic”