GCC compile error due to path too long

Development environment specific, Arduino, Eclipse, VS2013, Em::Blocks etc
TheDaft

GCC compile error due to path too long

Post by TheDaft »

Hi,

I've just installed the STM32duino board package, and want to compile a basic demo but I'm facing a compiler error:

Code: Select all

c:\users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\stmicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\bits\allocator.h:46:10: fatal error: bits/c++allocator.h: No such file or directory
   46 | #include "bits/c++allocator.h" // Define the base class to std::allocator.
I quickly figured out that this was nothind about a missing header file but rather a too-long path issue thanks to GCC and Windows... Strangely I couldn't find any topic about this problem, even by googling my issue: did I missed something?
I did a simple test by copying the STM gcc folder to C: and launched the command line manually: it worked perfectly as expected.

The STM package is located by default in the Windows user folder, while the root directory of my Arduino setup is in "C:\0_Softwares\Arduino" specially to avoid too long path issues. Furthermore, the path are _really_ long:

C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3
So I have several questions:
  • * Would it be possible to use the default Arduino install directory instead of the User one?
    * Would it be possible to reduce the name of "STMicroelectronics" folder into "STM" ?
    * Would it be possible to reduce the name of "xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc" folder into "gcc" ?
    * Last but not least: Does anyone have a workaround for this issue? I tried to manually edit the paths (and in the appropriate json files) but it only worked once, the path are being restored at the next Arduino IDE restart...
Thanks in advance for your feedback,
BR,
TheDaft
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: GCC compile error due to path too long

Post by fpiSTM »

TheDaft wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:53 pm * Would it be possible to use the default Arduino install directory instead of the User one?
You cans use portable install --> https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE
TheDaft wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:53 pm * Would it be possible to reduce the name of "STMicroelectronics" folder into "STM" ?
No ;) This follow Arduino platform specification for the vendor/maintainer
TheDaft wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:53 pm * Would it be possible to reduce the name of "xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc" folder into "gcc" ?
No. This is the name of the toolchain provider.
TheDaft wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:53 pm * Last but not least: Does anyone have a workaround for this issue? I tried to manually edit the paths (and in the appropriate json files) but it only worked once, the path are being restored at the next Arduino IDE restart...
You can change windows setting to handle long path name. https://www.howtogeek.com/266621/how-to ... haracters/
TheDaft

Post by TheDaft »

Thank you for your feedback @fpiSTM !

I will try the portable install.
I understand that these namings are not chosen just for fun, but I tried anyway ;)
I didn't know it was possible to change the windows settings about long path, I tried both fixes proposed in the link you provided but it didn't changed anything (and i did restart my laptop...), maybe this is more related to GCC than windows itself...

If anyone has other ideas, please don't hesitate ;)

Cheers,
Julien
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Post by fpiSTM »

Anyway, your issue seems strange.
Could your share your config (boards selected, options,...) and a full log (enable all output verbose in preferences menu)
And which sketch.
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

I have not had %path% issues with ArduinoIDE in Windows since version 8.0 ... at that time, I mitigated the issue with symlinks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_links

As I recall, Win8.1 corrected the problem I was previously having. I agree that the Op's reported concern is unusual. HOWEVER, Google does reports some "hits" with a search... an exercise of research for the Op perhaps as the topic seems to be scattered all over the net.
TheDaft

Post by TheDaft »

Hi,

I'm used not to set the default Windows installation path to avoid such path issues, that's why I've installed my Arduino IDE here: C:\0_Softwares\Arduino. But since Arduino uses the Windows User path for the packages installation, the path of the file it is looking for is "C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\arm-none-eabi\bits" which is ridiculously long from my point of view, although I know it's GCC's default path setup which is to "blame" here.

I've tried the portable version of Arduino, and I don't have any issues with the exact same sketch and environment than below. Thanks @fpiSTM for your hint!

So now I have a suitable setup, but I'm still interested to get the real reason why I was having trouble with the standard setup of Arduino on my side.

BTW, I never had such issue with the standard Arduino Boards, It's only with the stm32duino board package that I recently installed that this problem occured.

My sketch's config: Arduino: 1.8.15 (Windows 10), Board: "Nucleo-64, Nucleo L476RG, Mass Storage, Enabled (generic 'Serial'), None, Low/Full Speed, Smallest (-Os default), Newlib Nano (default)"

Compile log:

C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\hardware -hardware C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=STMicroelectronics:stm32:Nucleo_64:pnum=NUCLEO_L476RG,upload_method=MassStorage,xserial=generic,usb=none,xusb=FS,opt=osstd,rtlib=nano -ide-version=10815 -build-path C:\Users\XXXXXX~1.YYY\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_717991 -warnings=all -build-cache C:\Users\XXXXXX~1.YYY\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_446083 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.STM32Tools.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\STM32Tools\2.0.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.STM32Tools-2.0.0.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\STM32Tools\2.0.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3 -prefs=runtime.tools.xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc-9.3.1-1.3.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\CMSIS\5.7.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-5.7.0.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\CMSIS\5.7.0 -verbose C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\Google Drive\Bricolages\Arduino\MyCode\STM32L476_Demo1\STM32L476_Demo1.ino

C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\hardware -hardware C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\0_Softwares\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=STMicroelectronics:stm32:Nucleo_64:pnum=NUCLEO_L476RG,upload_method=MassStorage,xserial=generic,usb=none,xusb=FS,opt=osstd,rtlib=nano -ide-version=10815 -build-path C:\Users\XXXXXX~1.YYY\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_717991 -warnings=all -build-cache C:\Users\XXXXXX~1.YYY\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_446083 -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -prefs=runtime.tools.STM32Tools.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\STM32Tools\2.0.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.STM32Tools-2.0.0.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\STM32Tools\2.0.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3 -prefs=runtime.tools.xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc-9.3.1-1.3.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\CMSIS\5.7.0 -prefs=runtime.tools.CMSIS-5.7.0.path=C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\tools\CMSIS\5.7.0 -verbose C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\Google Drive\Bricolages\Arduino\MyCode\STM32L476_Demo1\STM32L476_Demo1.ino

Using board 'Nucleo_64' from platform in folder: C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\hardware\stm32\2.0.0

Using core 'arduino' from platform in folder: C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\hardware\stm32\2.0.0

"C:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\tools\\STM32Tools\\2.0.0/win/busybox.exe" sh "C:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/extras/prebuild.sh" "C:\\Users\\XXXXXX~1.YYY\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_717991" "C:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\Google Drive\\Bricolages\\Arduino\\MyCode\\STM32L476_Demo1"

Detecting libraries used...

"C:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\tools\\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\\9.3.1-1.3/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -mcpu=cortex-m4 -mfpu=fpv4-sp-d16 -mfloat-abi=hard -DUSE_FULL_LL_DRIVER -mthumb "@C:\\Users\\XXXXXX~1.YYY\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_717991/sketch/build_opt.h" -c -Os -w -std=gnu++14 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -nostdlib -fno-threadsafe-statics --param max-inline-insns-single=500 -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions -fno-use-cxa-atexit "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\Google Drive\\Bricolages\\Arduino\\MyCode\\STM32L476_Demo1" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\cores\\arduino/avr" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\cores\\arduino/stm32" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\cores\\arduino/stm32/LL" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\cores\\arduino/stm32/usb" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\cores\\arduino/stm32/OpenAMP" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\cores\\arduino/stm32/usb/hid" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\cores\\arduino/stm32/usb/cdc" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Drivers/STM32L4xx_HAL_Driver/Inc" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Drivers/STM32L4xx_HAL_Driver/Src" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/STM32L4xx" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Middlewares/ST/STM32_USB_Device_Library/Core/Inc" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Middlewares/ST/STM32_USB_Device_Library/Core/Src" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Middlewares/OpenAMP" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Middlewares/OpenAMP/open-amp/lib/include" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Middlewares/OpenAMP/libmetal/lib/include" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Middlewares/OpenAMP/virtual_driver" -w -x c++ -E -CC -DSTM32L4xx -DARDUINO=10815 -DARDUINO_NUCLEO_L476RG -DARDUINO_ARCH_STM32 "-DBOARD_NAME=\"NUCLEO_L476RG\"" "-DVARIANT_H=\"variant_NUCLEO_L476RG.h\"" -DSTM32L476xx -DHAL_UART_MODULE_ENABLED "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\tools\\CMSIS\\5.7.0/CMSIS/Core/Include/" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32L4xx/Include/" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\system/Drivers/CMSIS/Device/ST/STM32L4xx/Source/Templates/gcc/" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\tools\\CMSIS\\5.7.0/CMSIS/DSP/Include" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\tools\\CMSIS\\5.7.0/CMSIS/DSP/PrivateInclude" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\cores\\arduino" "-IC:\\Users\\myusernameisveryverylonggg\\AppData\\Local\\Arduino15\\packages\\STMicroelectronics\\hardware\\stm32\\2.0.0\\variants\\STM32L4xx\\L475R(C-E-G)T_L476R(C-E-G)T_L486RGT" "C:\\Users\\XXXXXX~1.YYY\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\arduino_build_717991\\sketch\\STM32L476_Demo1.ino.cpp" -o nul

Alternatives for bits/c++allocator.h: []

ResolveLibrary(bits/c++allocator.h)

-> candidates: []

In file included from c:\users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\stmicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\string:41,

from c:\users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\stmicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\stdexcept:39,

from c:\users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\stmicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\array:39,

from c:\users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\stmicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\tuple:39,

from c:\users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\stmicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\functional:54,

from C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\hardware\stm32\2.0.0\cores\arduino/WInterrupts.h:25,

from C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\hardware\stm32\2.0.0\cores\arduino/wiring.h:39,

from C:\Users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\STMicroelectronics\hardware\stm32\2.0.0\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:36,

from C:\Users\XXXXXX~1.YYY\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_717991\sketch\STM32L476_Demo1.ino.cpp:1:

c:\users\myusernameisveryverylonggg\appdata\local\arduino15\packages\stmicroelectronics\tools\xpack-arm-none-eabi-gcc\9.3.1-1.3\arm-none-eabi\include\c++\9.3.1\bits\allocator.h:46:10: fatal error: bits/c++allocator.h: No such file or directory

46 | #include <bits/c++allocator.h> // Define the base class to std::allocator.

|          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

compilation terminated.

exit status 1

Error compiling for board Nucleo-64.
My sketch (very basic one, I just wanted to test the toolchain with STM32 first):

/* Global variables */
int l_Idx;

void setup()
{
	Serial.begin(9600);
	Serial.println("Setup...");

l_Idx = 0;
}

void loop()
{
	l_Idx++;

Serial.print("Index: ");
	Serial.print(l_Idx);
	Serial.print("\n");

delay(1000); // wait a second before printing again
}
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

TheDaft wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:53 pm ...
I've tried the portable version of Arduino, and I don't have any issues with the exact same sketch and environment than below. Thanks @fpiSTM for your hint!

So now I have a suitable setup, but I'm still interested to get the real reason why I was having trouble with the standard setup of Arduino on my side.

BTW, I never had such issue with the standard Arduino Boards, It's only with the stm32duino board package that I recently installed that this problem occured.
Is it not enough to have a working setup? As the ArduinoIDE is not an STM project, and since the STM core is built from Arduino developed instructions for 3rd party cores, I simply do not view the request as a reasonable time expenditure in view of the current work effort/load; however, the authority on this would be fpiSTM.

There certainly is no issue on Linux and I have not seen an issue on W10 when the suggested "portable" install is utilized. Yes, it is an intellectually interesting question, but not something that will solve a massive issue. Everything is Open Source, so if you wanted to go down the path of enlightenment, I'm sure all of the forum readers would be interested in the outcome...

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/PortableIDE

Note:
I was a forum Admin in the old STM32duino forum, but here in this STM managed environment, I'm just like you, a forum member. So please understand that if my response is terse, it is only because forums such as this are incredibly difficult to manage and provide adequate instruction as well as oversight: there is just limited bandwidth when questions go off the beaten-path. (no pun intended.)

Ray
TheDaft

Post by TheDaft »

Hi Ray,

Sure, I understand your reply and you're right, I can live with my working setup, I just wanted to know if someone else would know how to fix this issue. I certainly don't expect anyone spend time on this just for my pleasure, so you can consider this topic closed.

Thank you for your quick response,

Cheers,
TheDaft
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

there is a 'workaround' sort of, which is to run WSL
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... tall-win10
that would 'work around' this issue as it is a separate os running in a virtual machine. Some consider it consuming more resources etc, but that if one is in a hurry to find a solution WSL can 'work around' it.
there is a lot of tools in un*x/linux that is native to c/c++ development, the whole toolchain make, shell scripts etc runs natively in linux / unix, the advantage is so significant that working in windows feels like it (windows) is a 'work around' for what works natively in linux
a lot of 'machine learning' stuff, e.g. tensorflow, python etc works 'natively' in linux as well, i think a reason is partly that many supercomputers is run that way.
TheDaft

Post by TheDaft »

Indeed, that would be a nice workaround, as well as a VM, I'm just used to work with Windows more than Linux. Thanks for the hint.

Return to “IDE's”