New there and beginner questions...

Axxel

New there and beginner questions...

Post by Axxel »

Dear friends I'm new there and I have few beginner questions.

In arduino I have installed STM32F1xx/GD32F1xx boards and STM32 Cores in the board manager is this correct?

In arduino IDE, As I understood, I have 2 different categories to select the STM32 mode, this is the CORE I will use is this correct?

What are the differences between the official ST Core and the MAPLE Core? Pros and cons... Obviously if ST have released and official core it should be the best option no?

I wanna program the device directly with ST-LINK 2 Programmer form Arduino IDE so I don't need any bootloader?

Now the STM32duino mode gives me the ST-LINK programming option, this is great, but if I select the oficial ST mode, there is not ST-LINK programmer option... How I can do it?

Best regards :D
GonzoG
Answers: 27

Re: New there and beginner questions...

Post by GonzoG »

1. Yes. Those two are the cores you can choose.

2. Which is better... There's no simple answer. STM32 core supports almost all STM32 MCUs and dozens of boards, Maple Core only supports F103.
STM32 core is made to be as compatible with Arduino as possible (so many Arduino libraries work with STM core), Maple core not, but because of this Maple core is bit faster in some areas.
With STM32 core you can use STM HAL and LL libraries so it's functionality is almost same as with any other IDE.

3. STM32 core does have ST-Link. ST-Link is a programmer which uses SWD interface.
You have it on the top of the list "STM32CubeProgrammer (SWD)"
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

GonzoG wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:25 am
2. Which is better...
I always recommend STM's Arduino core for long-term support and compatibility with the STM commercial tools.

Roger's core is an update to the Maple (Libmaple) core from LeafLabs. The documentation is archived here.

LibMaple is monolithic code, easy to read and understand and customized. For years, I have discouraged customization, but I still do it on occasion to get quickly what I want.

Lot more stuff here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=301

Ray
Axxel

Post by Axxel »

Yeah thanks a lot those are good point for me to start :D

Now is the stm32duino core is the MAPLE core?

Is this forum is okay to talk about the STM32 ST ofical core?
stevestrong
Answers: 8

Post by stevestrong »

Yes, this is the place to talk about official STM core, which has more options in Arduino IDE menu (that one with STMCubeProgrammer).
Libmaple core related questions can also discussed here, it has its own section in this forum.

Return to “Let us know a bit about you and your projects”