Stm32 stocking?

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
Mangy_Dog
Answers: 1

Stm32 stocking?

Post by Mangy_Dog »

As the guys from STM32 are involved in this forum, I feel the need to actually ask this now...

We all know theres a silicon shortage going on. But Can STM give us some idea when we might actually be able to buy stm32f103s again?

Honestly ive not been able to get anything ALL year. And still most of the main sites like digikey and mouser are still saying 52 week lead times on orders. Which frankly is insane.

When are we going to start seeing stock available again?
Just a dogs body developer, mostly making props and stuff...
ag123
Answers: 24

Re: Stm32 stocking?

Post by ag123 »

It is probably easier to get an answer on ST's community forums about it, some items from a local stockist is on backorder only, and I don't think it is simply a matter of wanting to do JIT.

The semiconductor shortage is precisely this, microcontrollers. As it seemed, there are fewer issues buying expensive, pricey desktop processors.
Even things like Rpi pico is backorder only, so it tells where the shortage is. And in particular the shortage seemed to be Arm Cortex-M microcontrollers from ST, NXP, etc. For reasons I don't know, if you searched for atmega328p (that used on UNO), there doesn't seem to be any distress, shortage etc., prices has maintained 'flat'
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?ca ... =atmega328

I'd guess it is why autos makers, are crying 'shortage' as it is unlikely they'd substitute that premium desktop processor, nor is it likely they 'swap' say to atmega328, the testing efforts could be deemed too risky to even do that.

I'd not be surprised if an autos maker approach Rpi and express interest in 'pico' as 'equivalents' :lol:
Mangy_Dog
Answers: 1

Post by Mangy_Dog »

yeah atmega isnt quite so hard to fine... but its over priced too...

What gets me though is mcortex are what? 90nm? these things are meant to be super easy to manufacture. Very high yields low waste.

the foundries shouldnt be stretched on chips of this level.
Just a dogs body developer, mostly making props and stuff...
dannyf

Post by dannyf »

guess it is why autos makers, are crying 'shortage' as it is unlikely they'd substitute that premium desktop processor,
The auto makers are the biggest beneficiary of this chip shortage - check out new car prices :)
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

3 days ago:
Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo is asking for information about how many chips companies actually need, as well as details on how many chips they might be hoarding.
So, some of the shortage "may" be artificial; with manufacturers using the highly advertised shortage to force prices (and profits) higher.

Return to “General discussion”