stm32duino for serious business

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
kevinp

stm32duino for serious business

Post by kevinp »

Hello,

First of all thank you to everyone involved in making the official stm32duino core possible. It has helped immensely in motivating me to learn C programming and microcontrollers. Note that I am NOT a professional firmware engineer and do NOT claim to be.

My question is how viable stm32duino and the bigger open source libraries (Adafruit, Sparkfun) are for small commercial products used in non-critical business applications? I do use CubeMX and CubeIDE but I really hate the clunky Java UI and toolchain. Eclipse is awful for me, but I know that VSCode could be used instead with makefiles, etc. But it's all pretty gross in my opinion.

Platform.io with stm32duino framework is an absolute pleasure to use. The simple projects with SPI, I2C and TFT have worked flawlessly though I am not looking for obscure bugs down the line that I have to deal with. Is the stm32duino framework using more HAL than I think and is somewhat close to what I would get through CubeMX?

I don't want to learn bad habits that have to be unlearned later. But it has been a good middle ground for me. I know professionals tend to be gatekeepers and would likely dismiss all this as a hacky toy. But what are the facts without the graybeard emotion?

Thanks!
brooklynntgordon

Re: stm32duino for serious business

Post by brooklynntgordon »

In my experience, the stm32duino framework is pretty reliable for small commercial products used in non-critical business applications. Some professionals may indeed dismiss it as hacky, but as long as you're not trying to use it for something critical, it should be fine.
As for bad habits, I think it's always important to be mindful of them and try to learn good practices. But as long as you're not relying solely on the stm32duino framework and are willing to learn more advanced techniques, I think you'll be okay.
In terms of business valuation resources, it's always good to have a solid understanding of the technology you're using for any product you're developing.
Last edited by brooklynntgordon on Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannyf

Re: stm32duino for serious business

Post by dannyf »

My question is how viable stm32duino and the bigger open source libraries (Adafruit, Sparkfun) are for small commercial products used in non-critical business applications?
that's a very wide range so chances are that some people are doing it sometimes - i have never seen any stats aside from anecdots.

if you are playing with it, I would say arduino does most of what you need. If you want to go beyond that, learning C and relying the datasheet would be critical.

Return to “General discussion”