How to transmit and receive data over USB composite Serial

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
stas2z
Answers: 8

Re: How to transmit and receive data over USB composite Serial

Post by stas2z »

Yeah, same here, im using vscode+pio, arduino hal core and pure ll/hal for my projects
I keep arduino layer for better portability across mcu families, cuz hw can change during prototyping and development and its really easy to migrate with existing code. But in case of speed or latency sensitive parts im using pure cmsis/regs or ll.
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Re: How to transmit and receive data over USB composite Serial

Post by mrburnette »

stas2z wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:54 pm arduino is just a framework (or library, no matter) for very easy and fast start, it configures hardware for you and provides simple api for basic things
arduino ide is not an ide to be honest, it's just a text editor with syntax highlighting and basic core selection/compile/upload uptions
it can't be compared with real ides tbh
IDE == Integrated Development Environment

Of course ArduinoIDE is an IDE. It is and IDE by extension of the fact that once the editor has valid code, compile, link, upload are just one-click away. It is, however, not the richest IDE available, however, provisions have been made to support an external source code editor. Arduino is a simple IDE well suited for anyone wishing to compose straight-forward Arduino code.

Arduino code is well documented here
Arduino environment is documented here

For very complex projects, ArduinoIDE would be a rather poor choice for a collaborative IDE; however, for first-person use it offers the basic necessities. I was corporate trained on numerous (enterprise) development environment and each had a "sweet spot" for one or more productive concepts. I managed JAVA teams working on large enterprise projects. But when I go down to my humble little basement lab to work a project on AVR-8 bit, STM32, ESP8266, or ESP32, I always select Arduino environment - there is nothing that cannot be done here although an integrated debugging tool would often be useful :D

For example, I can easily make use of external code with

Code: Select all

extern "C"{
No one I know disputes that more powerful tools exist than Arduino, but it is a very hard sale to state that there are more popular tools than the Arduino environment. Such limited discussions are really unworthy of a forum that caters to Arduino integration, after all the forum name is STM32duino.com

Ray

Return to “General discussion”