do you use STM32 for IoT?

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
Juraj
Answers: 1

do you use STM32 for IoT?

Post by Juraj »

I wonder. I see on this forum almost no threads about networking, Ethernet, WiFi, IoT, Web Server, OTA upload. I searched for a word WiFi and the treads returned showed no discussion about STM32 project with WiFi.
Is it only the forum or are STM32 MCUs really used only for 'classic' projects with displays, buttons, RF RC?
Last edited by Juraj on Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: STM32 use for IoT?

Post by fpiSTM »

I know some user use the ESP when they need WIFI.
Anyway feel free to open a topic on that subject.
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Re: do you STM32 for IoT?

Post by mrburnette »

Juraj wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:37 am ... I see on this forum almost no threads about networking, Ethernet, WiFi, IoT, Web Server, OTA upload....
Opinion: The world has changed since the UNO with an Ethernet shield. While the STM32F103 has a order-of-magnitude more SRAM than the Atmega328P, even 20K is still not enough to serve a complex webpage; so 'helper' modules are required. Designing for a two microcontroller project is more complex than using one of todays single WiFi/Ethernet development boards that offer a more integrated experience.

There are still hybrid solutions where a multichip solution shines; I use a bluepill to front-end my Raspberry Pi for a Web-Radio:
https://www.hackster.io/rayburne/joysti ... dio-452602

The bluepill handles the (human interface) station storage and selection, the joystick channel/volume controls, and the I2C LCD display and communicates with the Linux command line to manage rPi functionality.

Taking the concept to a multiple fix-state design (automation), complex Linux-Bluepill scenarios can be envisioned:
https://www.hackster.io/rayburne/rpi-se ... ino-355525

( Disclosure: Prototype is an Atmel 8-bitter)

Ray
Play Projects
Juraj
Answers: 1

Re: do you use STM32 for IoT?

Post by Juraj »

so main main Arduino project is a heating power Triac based regulator consuming photovoltaic surplus. it reads data from inverter's datamanager over Modbus TCP, for monitoring it has Telnet server and web server with html, css and js. it uses Blynk cloud service to be accessible from anywhere with a smartphone. and has firmware upload over network.
it runs on an classic 8-bit AVR ATmega1284p with Ethernet shield and SD card. and it still has space for more functions.
https://github.com/jandrassy/Regulator
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Re: do you use STM32 for IoT?

Post by mrburnette »

Nice heater :lol:

Personally, my choice of automation would be LoRA from control unit (remote unit) to LoRA central unit to Raspberry Pi running webserver and NodeRED as the local analytics. The rPi can provide the Internet webpage simply by configuring your home router... no outside service required.

Your approach does provide optimum data security assuming the external data is not proprietary.

Return to “General discussion”