STM32F103C8T6: Confirmation of counterfeiting by ST

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
stas2z
Answers: 8

Re: STM32F103C8T6: Confirmation of counterfeiting by ST

Post by stas2z »

it's much better to buy f3xx/f4xx instead
f103 line have to rip finally
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

imho for the 'better' stuff, it really helps to use an F3 or F4
btw there is no guarantee that there are no manufacturers who do not ship fake F3 or F4, just that for now it seemed rather unlikely as those boards cost rather more
F103 pill boards still has its place, for instance, if all you want is to monitor a single sensor or perhaps run a single motor, or simply do some pid thermal control, F3 or F4 may be an 'overkill'. they could perhaps even be served by a simple atmega chip or stm8 chip or even the humble pic mcu.
but i think one of those things that i'd get myself to try is to 'make my own' f103 board, i think it should be rather feasible as pcbs can be ordered online in rather low quantities. the good thing about doing this is that one need not be limited by layouts and can place additional peripherals on board

the strength of stm32f103 is really its usb-pheriperial, i've not really got into usb sufficiently to try things with it. i think a megapixel web cam with stm32f103 over usb is feasible, never mind that it has only full speed usb to the host. the key is to do all the jpeg compression on the stm32 mcu or possibly leverage the cam chip which sometimes has those features e.g. the ovxxxx series cams

imho for the stm32f103 it is nearly a substitute for ft2232 and more, i.e. usb to 'anything'
it is kind of a 'big deal' since the serial port on pcs and notebook pc has gone 'extinct', u can hardly find any vendors who bother to ship a pc with a 9 pin serial port these days, never mind if the pin headers are actually there on the motherboard. the world has gone usb with 'everthing' to connect peripherals to pcand i think nothing is going to reverse this to the old rs323. wifi and bluetooth is good just that 2.4ghz bandwidth is getting very crowded these days and those things adds cost and complexity vs the simple usb
i.e. to connect a pc to 'anything' irda, webcam, floppies, cdrom, storage, flash drives, audio, video, adc, dac, gps, smart cards (including contactless) all sorts of controllers, 3d printers, all sorts of instruments, even including connecting to other boards e.g. Rpi, bealebone black etc - it is usb (besides the lan)
robca

Post by robca »

arpruss wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:15 pm I wonder if eBay dispute resolution is more buyer friendly.
Well, with eBay you can use PayPal to pay for what you buy, so you are covered by eBay and Paypal's policy. Plus Paypal offers "free return shipping" if you enable it for free on your account, so returning a fake product to China is an option (unlike Aliexpress, where if the seller asks you to send back something, you have to pay out of your pocket for an expensive tracked shipping)

Aliexpress pay is not a good payment option as far as user protection is concerned
Bingo600

Post by Bingo600 »

robca wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:08 pm Paypal offers "free return shipping" if you enable it for free on your account,
Any quick hint , how to enable the free return on a PP account ?

/Bingo
Milek

Post by Milek »

I had DMA issues and think i have one batch of fake maple mini-s :?

Return to “General discussion”