Post by ag123 »

tried out the arduino pro ide
https://blog.arduino.cc/2019/10/18/ardu ... -features/
https://blog.arduino.cc/2019/10/25/new- ... oser-look/
https://github.com/arduino/arduino-pro-ide
arduinopro.jpg
arduinopro.jpg (58.33 KiB) Viewed 12661 times
things are 'broken' for stm32duino. to get this screen print
- install the stm32duino official core using arduino IDE using the board manager
https://github.com/stm32duino/wiki/wiki/Getting-Started
try a sketch or something
- then install the arduino pro ide
apparently it is able to detect the core, boards and sketch folders
it is possible to select a board
but i can't configure the board specifics e.g. usb-serial etc
the build goes through but i'd think it is missing usb-serial - not tested

arduino pro-ide has the board manager, but i did not try installing the stm32duino core with it

Arduino pro ide uses the same technology as VSCode - javascript or rather typescript
but Arduino pro ide is based on Eclipse Theia which in turn is based on javascript / typescript and
accordingly Eclipse Theia would support VSCode extensions/plugins
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=68

it truly is 'alpha' software as in that features are evolving hence, things would change as it evolves
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Re: arduino pro ide alpha

Post by fpiSTM »

Currently, I did not try it.
I'm waiting to have a stable version.
BennehBoy
Answers: 1

Post by BennehBoy »

You would think they would simply align to someone else's IDE so that they can concentrate on the core rather than reinventing the wheel. Still anything is an improvement over stock.
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

BennehBoy wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:00 pm You would think they would simply align to someone else's IDE so that they can concentrate on the core rather than reinventing the wheel. Still anything is an improvement over stock.

Kind of harsh?
There are numerous alternatives for those "needing" more functionality, but free and "it works" are two commendable areas that I champion. In all hobby-electronics, it is important to have known-good baselines: test scripts, uC modules, sensors, displays, etc. This also applies to the build-system: an IDE or build script that just works.

In support of Arduino.cc, they as a community support a world-wide user community: hardware and IDE software and attempt to educate on proper C/C++ code, wiring, and basic electronics. A mammoth effort worthy of praise and largely successful from my observations.

But, here we are in the STM32 "duino" forum. STM has professional development tools, debuggers, programmers, and an entire ecosystem of development boards. IMO, the STM "duino" effort gained traction from the success of the libmaple (Leaflabs) and Roger's work (+ Bob & numerous others) to get Leaflabs code to work under ArduinoIDE 1.5.

By presenting a HAL/CMSIS API, the STM Official Arduino Core opens the door to hobbyists wishing to leverage their Arduino knowledge and move into the STM capable product line. Many may elect to drop the ArduinoIDE, but some may stubbornly stay... depending, I believe, more on whether they utilize a mix of different hardware or simply drop everything and move forward with the STM brand exclusively.

Ray
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

the way arduino and vs code is evolving it seem though that they are trying to sell 'cloud' services
and this could very well spell the 'future' for where these 'arduino-ish' things are headed
if things like IFTTT
https://ifttt.com/
and
https://www.sensorcloud.com/
and many more
are after all rather popular, we could see one narrow direction it is headed.

but much bigger and much much more than that, that the giants 'refuse' to talk about it is
this is not as 'simple' as IOT
we are living in a 'new' world where you load a sketch, your blue pill becomes usb-serial dongle, load another sketch, usb-audio dongle
load a different sketch, a usb-oscilloscope, another different sketch, a usb-smartcard, usb-smartkey reader, another sketch a usb-gps,
another sketch becomes 3d printer, another sketch cnc router machine, another sketch a keyboard and the keyboard is more than 'smart' it can type the whole essay or scientific paper and format it for you if you want
the implications are non-trival
i'd guess it is why 'they' won't leave us alone
:lol:
mrburnette
Answers: 7

Post by mrburnette »

ag123 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:01 pm the way arduino and vs code is evolving it seem though that they are trying to sell 'cloud' services
and this could very well spell the 'future' for where these 'arduino-ish' things are headed
if things like IFTTT
but much bigger and much much more than that, that the giants 'refuse' to talk about it is
this is not as 'simple' as IOT
we are living in a 'new' world where you load a sketch, your blue pill becomes usb-serial dongle, load another sketch, usb-audio dongle
load a different sketch, a usb-oscilloscope, another different sketch, a usb-smartcard, usb-smartkey reader, another sketch a usb-gps,
another sketch becomes 3d printer, another sketch cnc router machine, another sketch a keyboard and the keyboard is more than 'smart' it can type the whole essay or scientific paper and format it for you if you want
the implications are non-trival
Oh, my ... I see nothing new in your statements with the possibility of the numbers of backend analytical systems grinding on "your" data hosted on some bubble running on a high-availability virtual machine. Years ago, we would aggregate this data and write it to SD storage and grind it in Excel. The only new-fangled idea is remote hosting on some cloud so that all the smartphone junkies can have access (and optionally change) their home ambiance lightning and temperature. All of this silliness and our Internet routers are looking like Swiss Cheese from the port forwarding nightmares... talk about security nightmares.

I live a comfortable life, have many hi-tech gadgets, carry a fancy cellphone, have security and home automation sufficient to keep the wife happy and not a single open port on my Internet router. But, for individuals that believe they must have all those connected toys, I say, good for you. There are always those folks willing to bleed to be first at the leading edge and happy enough to give away their privacy to support their technology habit. I know people who would be first-in-line for a Borg connection into the hive in order to be one with the Collective.

Is Arduino.cc moving to a paid web-cloud model, perhaps. Other than over-charging for uC boards, I suspect they need a revenue stream. They are a company with legitimate costs. Seems to me that the RPi guys have a better business model than Arduino (I deleted my mrburnette UID on their forum shortly after Roger Clark started the original STM32duino.com forum.)

Clouds are just servers in someone's datacenter. "Sessions" are just cpu + IO + RAM in some virtual machine. Your data-device views are just html code from some report writer located on some spinning disk. Of course "they" want to charge you... someone must pay the electric bill for the datacenter!

The idea that a $2 BluePill can be flashed and "become" a digital oscilloscope, a Voltmeter, a gps clock ... really this is insignificant because the board is only $2 .... folks are just going to replicate the BP at $2 a pop and have dedicated tools. I cannot imagine a serious hobbyist pulling a gps-clock, flashing it wit O'scope firmware, finding those scope probes, taking a few oscilloscope readings, removing the probes and putting them safely where they will be lost on next need, and flashing the gps-clock firmware. Maybe if the BP was $99, but not for $2.
ag123
Answers: 24

Post by ag123 »

i'd guess it is about the 'revenue model' too, e.g. that Arduino may offer more features and services in their 'cloud' services.
i'd guess it is a reason for moving towards Eclipse theia https://theia-ide.org/.
the IDE can literally run in a web browser as it is javascript based

do agree about the 'permanent' fixtures bp approach :)
BennehBoy
Answers: 1

Post by BennehBoy »

Has this moved along at all?

I've more or less moved over to vscode with the arduino extension now.

I tried platformio but it's just imvho 'horrible' - they use their own hacked version of each core and to get things to be repeatable there's a fair bit of change required within projects (function declarations etc).

I can see how it would be OK to start from scratch in PIO, but if you're coming into it from arduino with custom cores it's time to unlearn things.
fpiSTM
Answers: 91

Post by fpiSTM »

About PIO, an official integration will be done soon.
stas2z
Answers: 8

Post by stas2z »

fpiSTM wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:28 am About PIO, an official integration will be done soon
please accept my personal thanks on this 8-)
since ive tried vscode i can't use arduino "ide" anymore

Return to “IDE's”