Coding STM32H747XI on Arduino GIGA R1 Wifi

Post here first, or if you can't find a relevant section!
help_bio

Coding STM32H747XI on Arduino GIGA R1 Wifi

Post by help_bio »

Can STM32CubeProgrammer be used to program the Arduino giga that has the STM32H747XI processor. I am trying to connect a LCD display that uses MIPI DSI and the Arduino libraries don't currently support that. Correct me if I'm wrong though! There are a ton of resources that show the STM32 series driving different types of LCD screens which is why I want to try STM32CubeProgrammer. Any insight would be great, thanks again.
STM32ardui
Answers: 1

Re: Coding STM32H747XI on Arduino GIGA R1 Wifi

Post by STM32ardui »

help_bio wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:03 pm Can STM32CubeProgrammer be used to program the Arduino giga that has the STM32H747XI processor.
May be you misunderstand something?

"Arduino for STM32" means, that you copy link to JSON-file into ArduinoIDE and then install "STM32 MCU based boards" by the board manager of IDE.

So you write your program inside ArduinoIDE, compile and link it. The CLI of STM32CubeProgrammer is only used in the last step to upload your bin-file. Advantage may be, that STM32-Core is based on HAL.
help_bio wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:03 pm I am trying to connect a LCD display that uses MIPI DSI and the Arduino libraries don't currently support that.
The amount of libraries for STM32-Core is very small. There is nothing about a display.
If you are able to convert examples for STM32CubeIDE to ArduinoIDE ... ok.

The good news:  there is a list of supported µC and your STM32H747XI is in the list.
The bad news:    how to upload?

What is the regular way to upload a sketch to Arduino Giga R1?
Via USB?
Which tool they use for upload?

For a lot of STM32 boards you can use a STLinkV2: one side USB for connection to computer, other side 4pin header with GND, SWDIO, SWCLK and +3.3V. SWDIO is normally connected to PA13 and SWCLK to PA14.

Arduino Giga R1 has JTAG-header. Pins are named "TMS/SWD" going to PA13 and "TCK/SCK" going to PA14. So it may be possible to use a STLinkV2 here? I have a (unused) Arduino GIGA R1 at home, but I can't test it. JTAG-header seems to have a 1,27 mm pitch.

BTW:
There is a display for Arduino GIGA R1. Specs say:

Code: Select all

The J4 connector for video (DSI) signals and the 
J5 connector for the touch panel signals
So DSI is the same like MIPI?
Arduino sell a board, a display, but have no example for that???

Return to “General discussion”